C band and powerlines

NorthGA

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2018
North Ga
Does anyone know if a powerline would cause interference if a c band dish is installed close to it.

Power to home . Single phase 240
I have seen a telephone/power pole completely block a single C-band satellite due to perfect alignment of that satellite with the center of the pole. Also remember some issues when working under power lines that are line-of-sight with terrestrial interference. Interference can be transferred with hard-to-predict bounce effect from original source and possibly take out your reception, especially if that bounce happens to land in the vicinity of your feedhorn or LNBF. Not common but not impossible.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I have seen a telephone/power pole completely block a single C-band satellite due to perfect alignment of that satellite with the center of the pole. Also remember some issues when working under power lines that are line-of-sight with terrestrial interference. Interference can be transferred with hard-to-predict bounce effect from original source and possibly take out your reception, especially if that bounce happens to land in the vicinity of your feedhorn or LNBF. Not common but not impossible.
I just mean frequency wise. Would an electrical type of interference occur if a dish was installed within 10 ft of home power lines to house. Not line of sight. Interfering as static or disruption

I just mean frequency wise. Would an electrical type of interference occur if a dish was installed within 10 ft of home power lines to house. Not line of sight. Interfering as static or disruption
There are always possibilities of some interference from induction. I would be more concerned about trying to install a big dish within 10 feet of a power line from safety and legal concerns. Check with your local satellite professional or state electrical codes. Even a non motorized dish could present a regulator's problem if they have setback or distance minimums.

I guess I might be shooting through lines on my pole. Rural 3 phase and a fiber and cable line on it. Haven't boresighted it though. Of course I haven't chopped the lines down the compare.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts