c band dish setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jnoda1

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 24, 2010
miami
Hello, I am new to the Cband dishes and I am having problem setting up the elevation and inclination angles. I live in Miami florida, which is my southernmost sat? It seems that although I set the elevation to the angle that I think its supposed to be at and the inclination to the angle it should be at, it still dont get any quality. I have a sadoun 6' ft dish with a linear actuator installed and Im using a viewsat VS2000 to try to pick up the clarke belt arc. I also have a DMX741 C/KU Band LNBF. Any help in setting up the correct angles would be greatly appreciated. Also a have a gbox positioner but eveytime I hit the remote to move the sat it only moves it one stroke at a time. Is there any way to make it move all the time and how do I get it to work with my receiver, thanks

Last edited:
this is a great link for setting up the polar mount. . . h**p://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp4.html#anchor797917

i believe with your location your elevation angle should be around 80 degrees and your decline around 9 degrees these you will still need to find tune what you hit your most south sat (79w)

look up the sat you want here h**p://www.lyngsat.com/america.html

it would have been a bit easier to find a sat usin the c band first then fine tune to ku band.

you can use this TP 12177 H 20500 that should be free and open on 79w.

if your dish is in a position where you can get to the LNB to also play with it a bit that would be great.

now with you jack movin and stoppin can be due to the limits switches not hooked up?

gettin it worked with your receiver should be just a matter of goin into the settings and turning on diseqc it should be in positioner settings and or something like that and movin the dish from in there.

did you install the lnb correctly on the dish?

hope this helps. . .

Ok, your edit makes it clear :) that you have Ku capabilities.
A DMX741 from what I have read, don't focus both C and Ku very well on a 6'. Some on this group have attempted mods that it work better on small dishes:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...dmx741-c-ku-lnbf-improvement.html#post2186311

That being said, without the mod you might need to change the focal point of the LNB to lock on your southern sat, then move it again to lock on C.

Which DMX741 do you have? Standard or Ku? Are you using the built in switch? Try bypassing the switch and locking KU first.

What receiver?

Hello, I am new to the Cband dishes and I am having problem setting up the elevation and inclination angles. I live in Miami florida, which is my southernmost sat? It seems that although I set the elevation to the angle that I think its supposed to be at and the inclination to the angle it should be at, it still dont get any quality....

The reference to elevation AND inclination is a bit curious, I'd be interested in what angles you are using, and how you are measuring them?
For Miami, assuming a latitude of about 25.8, the elevation of your rotation axis should be something around 63.6, and you should be using a declination of about 3.8 (BTW, there is no place on earth that would use a declination of 9 deg). Since you may not be measuring declination directly, but instead the surface of the dish, that elevation would be approximately the 63.6-3.8=59.8, which BTW, is the elevation of your southern most sat.

Anyway, I'd be curious relative to what angles you were using, and how they were measured.

The reference to elevation AND inclination is a bit curious, I'd be interested in what angles you are using, and how you are measuring them?
For Miami, assuming a latitude of about 25.8, the elevation of your rotation axis should be something around 63.6, and you should be using a declination of about 3.8 (BTW, there is no place on earth that would use a declination of 9 deg). Since you may not be measuring declination directly, but instead the surface of the dish, that elevation would be approximately the 63.6-3.8=59.8, which BTW, is the elevation of your southern most sat.

Anyway, I'd be curious relative to what angles you were using, and how they were measured.

O CRAP!!! i was lookin at the incorrect numbers while typin. . .you are correct. . .

:)

BTW, if you start heading North you may see those numbers border line. . .may not see a 9. . but like 8. . .if you even get signal up there lol maybe like intelsat 10-02 @ 1w

Last edited:
BTW, if you start heading North you may see those numbers border line. . .may not see a 9. . but like 8. . ....

Yeah, you're right. Sorry, just couldn't resist jumping on that. :)
I wasn't sure how high they went, but was pretty sure they didn't get up to 9, so I checked just before I responded. Can't remember exactly right now, but the declinations maxed out at something like ~8.7 or something for up north in the Arctic ocean about ~83 latitude, and if you use the modified declinations, the most you'd ever use up there would be ~8.5, which was interesting to me because down here, the difference between traditional and modified declination increases with latitude, and is generally around 0.6, but I guess at some point that trend must start to reverse, and it's down to about 0.2 up there. I guess that should have been obvious to me since all the declinations would be about the same if you could see sats from the north pole.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts