C band Dish Value

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tranny

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Mar 15, 2008
Hello,

I was wondering what a Caltronics (or Caultronics) 8' dish from the 80's would be worth. It is rusty black mesh and would need a repaint. It comes complete with an unknown brand motor. The guy wants $75 for the complete set up which seems steep to me.

What would you C-band experts recommend if I went the new dish route and what can I expect to spend on a new dish? I would rather spend more and have a quality dish than try to save and wind up with a lawn sculpture.

Kaultronics maybe? I remember them back in the 80's. Check the mesh, if you can push a pencil though the openings it won't be much good for ku. Any visible sign of warpage, edge to edge? Is the motor an actuator or Horizon to horizon? If the motor is an hh and works its probably worth the $$. Personally I would look around for other used dishes before going the new route, there are some decent setups out there for free you just need to snoop around a bit and ask questions. Also, 8' is ok but you would probably be happier with a 10' ...if you have the room and WAF.:)

in some locations these big dishes are hard to find so the price you pay might be a bit high . now the area i'm in there are plenty and some you can get just for asking. so look around and if you start seeing a few then maybe you can get one for nothing. the dishes i see that handle aging best are about 7 1/2 ft dishes and usually found in the country or older housing developments. Here in the south a 7 1/2 dish will have a good reception.

I went the new dish route and what can I expect to spend on a new dish? I would rather spend more and have a quality dish than try to save and wind up with a lawn sculpture.
some of the newer solid dishes get expensive due to shipping and 6 ft is marginal for reception on some weaker transponders.

don't rush in take your time look around a bit . I like my 7 1/2 ft mesh every bit as my 10 ft mesh. but i would still like to find a bigger dish :) lol
i found coffee shops and talking about old dishes gets several responses or try a craigslist or free paper...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)