This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

C band feed horn

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WyrTwister

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
On a Chaparrel C band feed horn with LNB , scalar ring and polarotor , does the assembly orient with the polarotor at 12 oclock & the LNB at 6 oclock ?

Trying to get the initial mechanical / rotational polarity set correctly .

Thanks ,
Wyr

On my Chaparrel feedhorn it looks like it was installed with the LNB 45° to the vertical axis. I'm not currently using this feedhorn.

There was some talk of this on the forum here and the understanding i got was that the intent was to keep form hitting the limits of adjustment to help the longevity of the servo motor.

What I did was tune a 'known' H or V TP and tweaked the feed horn so that it was optimal for that polarity.

WyrTwister said:
On a Chaparrel C band feed horn with LNB , scalar ring and polarotor , does the assembly orient with the polarotor at 12 oclock & the LNB at 6 oclock ?

Trying to get the initial mechanical / rotational polarity set correctly .

Thanks ,
Wyr

Chapparal Feedhorn FAQ

mkm4 said:

Thank you ,

Wyr
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated Friday

I did some tweeking on the 90 cm dish w/ C band scalar ring , feed horn , polar rotor & 15 degree LNB .

AMC 4 is my due south sat . I am picking up 2 network feeds on analog C band . Both have sparkles in the picture , one less so than the other . There is a 3rd TP listed as analog on lyngsat.com , but not getting anything on it .

So far , nothing on DVB-S C band .

Later,
Wyr

you're ugly said:
you make a good point

By now , I think I have picked up most / all the " full time " analog channels ( a bunch more channels listed on lyngsat.com are named as feeds ) , pretty much east to west .

Using the HH100 to sweep the sky .

Channels vary from a few that are almost as good as over the air channels on rabbit ears to so bad as to barely be able to tell there is a picture there . Most are some where in between .

Although , I think the worst channels are simply bleed over from sats to the east & west of the one I am aimed at . If that is correct , I would say that they do not count .

Again , no DVB-S , yet .

Have a couple more things to test , but if they do not yeald enough improvement to give me DVB-S , then I would have to say I will need to scrounge another , larger dish .

For now , I will have to re-tweek the dish / motor assembly . It seems the wind has rotated the dish out of allignment . They are mounted on a short piece of 2" galvanixed steel pipe that is not in the ground very far ( no concrete ) . The whole pole will turn .

Think I may use this to my advantage . Clamp a 4 ' - 5' steel bar to the pipe , at ground level . This will keep it from rotating when I do not want it to , but allow me to rotate it in very fine incriments , when I am trying to tweek the dish .

Also , the dish to motor alignment is not quite right . I measure from the flat of the motor mount bracket ( that clamps to the pipe ) to a flat spot on the dish bracket , on both the east and the west side & compare measurments .

Problem I am having , is the slack in the motor arm . I think I will mark the dish elevation & then let the dish " droop " down . Hopefully , this will put the weight of the dish " down " & allow the dish to fall to the middle of the slack ?

As it is , with the dish angled up , even at zero position ( midway in the east - west rotation ) , the dish may fall east or west in the slack .

Latter ,
Wyr

Status
Please reply by conversation.