Status
Please reply by conversation.

ekim7777

Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Canad
I have read on another site recently that C-band is going KU between now
and the end of the year. I have a friend who installs these large c-band dishes
& he also heard that in the near future that C-band is going to KU & that C-band
is old technology and we are in the digital age.
Can anyone verify that this is a fact??
:rolleyes:

I guess with higher power Ku sats they might be able to power thru rain fade issues. Otherwise, I don't see a mass defection from C band anytime soon. But, I do wonder why outfits such as DTV and DN would be concerned about rain fade when their customers could be "washed out" thru their Ku distribution.

BUNK

I have read on another site recently that C-band is going KU between now
and the end of the year. I have a friend who installs these large c-band dishes
& he also heard that in the near future that C-band is going to KU & that C-band
is old technology and we are in the digital age.
Can anyone verify that this is a fact??
:rolleyes:
Who's going Ku from C-band?
(some broadcasters may be going fiber from satellite, but that's a different matter)
DishNetwork and DirecTV have been Ku from the start, so nothing new there.

Nobody much installs C-band dishes any more, and haven't in 20 years... except maybe for TV/radio stations.
Certainly not for end users.

C-band may have been around longer than Ku, but new technology keeps it quite fresh.
Sure, you can find 20 year old C-band stuff out there, but that's not necessarily what we're using.
(dishes yes; electronics no)

Digital Age is just a catch-phrase.
Yea, Analog is dead and has been pretty near dead for the general public for years.
Nothing new about that.
(yea, there are a few analog signals left, but that's the key word: left!)

So, I say "BUNK" to your source. - :rolleyes:

sounds like a misinterpretation of the 4dtv schmozzle. motorola is shutting down the acc on dec 31 of this year. it appears that skyvision is going to pick up after that date and provide the authorization datastream. in my opinion... the less cband dishes in the wild (im harvesting them like crazy), the more attractive cband is to content providers. haha.

crackt out,.

sounds like a misinterpretation of the 4dtv schmozzle. motorola is shutting down the acc on dec 31 of this year. it appears that skyvision is going to pick up after that date and provide the authorization datastream. in my opinion... the less cband dishes in the wild (im harvesting them like crazy), the more attractive cband is to content providers. haha.

crackt out,.

I agree! :) They are still launching birds with C-band transponders. So C-band is far from dead. My hope is that after Moto backs out, and with dwindling numbers of dishes functioning, more content will be found. Kind of like the late 70's to early 80's. They did not scramble too much when C-band was considered a hobby. Only after the numbers grew too big did that start up. Maybe history will repeat its self. Have a great day!

C-Band is the backbone of the TV industry. It's used to distribute signals to cable companies, pizza dish companies, and radio/broadcast TV. It will never die.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)