C- Band : How to amplify signal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

san2008

Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Argentina
Hello;

I just Install a C-Band Dish on my roof Pinting to the Intelsat 9 58W. The Pire Here in Argentina it´s 40 dBW (by satbeams).

By the moment my equipament consit of:

1 C band Dish 1,5 m

1 LNBF Pauxis 17 K 65 dB gain

2 F-Conectors Holland

1 STB Captive Works 800 PVR

1 DiSEqC CW-41 ( captive Works)

Conax Cable Perfect Vision RG6 60%

I. from the Dish to DiSEqC - > 15 m (49 ft)

II. DiSEqC to STB - > 50 m ( 164 ft)

As you can see there is a long distance from the dish to the STB.

By the moment I can reach few Transpondres. Couriosly the Tp 4040 ( the strongger i cant download it :s)

The dish was pointed with a sat finder. Some transponders I cant dowload it so I think it may be an amplification problem.

It will be great if you can help my how to amplifiy correctly the signal. In other formums no one knows how to do it correctly ( with calculator, mathematics operations, table of power etc, you know do it well!)

I trust in your. Whitning for help. Thank you.

You need to know the total loss of all components (cable loss and the insertion loss of all splitters and switches, etc). Then, if you really need an amplifier, it should be inserted as close to the LNBF as possible and adjusted to overcome the total loss. If you place the amplifier near the receiver, you'll be amplifying any noise on the line as well as the signal. Also, if I read your post correctly, you're using a 1.5 meter dish (approximately 4.5 feet), that's a rather small dish for C band.

No you can't use an amplifier to make "more signal", like you're using a larger dish. I'd look for a bigger dish, 1.5 meter is on the small side. 3 meter at least.

Thank you very much for your help. I must tell you that the size of the dish it´s small , yes i know it, but some peope here with the same dish have much more signal than me, and also they download 30 channels when in my case I just have about 8 channels.

Also the pire it´s 40 dBw ( satbeamns info) = 1,5m (4,5 ft)

An other thing it´s that here were I live in ( Buenos Aires Citiy) there are some cellular transmition towers in a ratio of 300 m (900 ft) form my dish....

It might be some interference? :confused:

The cell towers could be a problem, especially if they are in front of your dish. In the days of analog, TI was easy to identify on the TV screen. With digital, not so easy. I don't know how it could be confirmed as interfering, without laboratory equipment. But since you say you get signal, but low Q,
Here's something to try, to see if an amplifier will improve the situation. Bring the STB and a TV out to the dish, If you get good Q there, an amp should compensate for the loss between the dish and where your setup normally is. If it doesn't get good signal at the dish, an amplifier will not help, it may actually make it worse.
I still think your solution is a larger dish. Might also fight any interference, as it will gather more signal from the sat. And if the dish isn't pointed towards the source of interference, might just be enough to get the sat signal above the level of the interference enough to get good Q.

An amplifier will do very little for a signal problems on a smaller C band dish. The only way to get stronger signal that won't break up or go out is a larger dish. There is no way around it. Believe me, I've tried! :) You need a bigger dish. This is why the cable companies use no smaller than 3m dishes, because the signal comes in strong and reliable.

For what ever it may be worth to you. I have been using a Sadoun S-SA01 type of Amp for a few years now. I got it from Sadoun but an not certain of the model number. Mine is ahead of a little over a 100 foot run and is installed after the DisEQC 4X1 that is as close as is practical to three kU and on 6 foot C band dish.

I was looking for a problem in the system today. I took the booster out of the line and then put in right back in. I did not pay any attention to the signal strength. It does increase my signal quality by about 3 - 4 % on the big dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts