C band LNB

stinkygopher1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
Saint John NB CA
I brought home the free 10 foot dish today and I am wondering if this LNB is worth putting back on or should I use a new one. Squirrels had chewed through the plastic cover and chewed the wires off of the motor for turning the horizontal and vertical probe so I would have to replace that part.Thanks.

Attachments

• DSC01626.JPG
    DSC01626.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 194
If you get a new one witch I would recommend, I would gladly pay for shippng for that one. Memorabilia, you see what it says on the bottom of the lable? Travelers Rest SC. That is were I live and my guess is that is a Robert Coleman LNB. Hopefully Mike Kohl will see this and chime in.

If you get a new one witch I would recommend, I would gladly pay for shippng for that one. Memorabilia, you see what it says on the bottom of the lable? Travelers Rest SC. That is were I live and my guess is that is a Robert Coleman LNB. Hopefully Mike Kohl will see this and chime in.
Sure! Thats the only part that is good.I Have a new one for it and wasn't really planning on using that one.

I would suggest replacing with a current state of the art C-band LNBF such as those offered by Brian Gohl at Titanium Satellite. This will ensure the digital stability needed for current MPEG-4 reception with today's Free To Air receivers, and eliminate the need to also replace the feedhorn and/or polarizer motor. The only connection needed between the feed area and the receiver would be a coaxial cable.

It probably was-----note the country of Origin: Japan. This was made in the time period before Chinese and South Korean manufacturing threatened our domestic electronics manufacturers. Japan was at the top of quality ratings back in those days (satellite equipment made by Toshiba, Panasonic, Uniden and others), and gave our receiver and LNA/LNB manufacturers some serious competition. Cal Amp and Drake survived over the long term domestically, but you rarely heard about Avantek and Amplica after a certain point. Bob must have found a converter device that worked well for his receivers. It took a while for our last standard of 950-1450 MHz IFs to actually become the standard, and the Japanese drove that standard, while we had 930-1430 (STS), 270-770 (Scientific Atlanta) and 430-930 (Locom and Anderson Scientific). Those that chose 950-1450 MHz as their conversion scheme stayed in business longer than others using the others. (930-1430 was cheap and dirty for STS, 430-930 used modified UHF tuners for lower cost product, and S-A was in a league of their own with their 270-770 MHz standard, with much higher prices).

At one time you could buy higher quality versions of all of the above, made by California Amplifier, which did very well in the 1980s and 1990s, selling C-band devices.

Reactions: Titanium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)