C Band on a 1m Winegard

Status
Please reply by conversation.

global0

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
37N, 121W
I have read on a few threads such as this one http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=32726 by "Cascade" that receiving C-Band on smaller dishes is feasible. So, I am going to try it with my 1m Winegard.
The first question at this point is, what kind/brand of LNB do I need to get? I have searched on Internet and there are a few candidates, but I wouldn't be able to judge between them as I have no experience with C-Band.

Secondly, once we have passed the curiosity point, there is the question that "is there really stuff on C-Band that is not available on Ku?" If most of the stuff on C-Band, is also relayed on Ku, then it would be difficult to justify it?!

And finally, can this be done with a dual LNB configuration to have both Ku and C LNBs on the same dish?

Thanks in advance!

global0 said:
I have read on a few threads such as this one http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=32726 by "Cascade" that receiving C-Band on smaller dishes is feasible. So, I am going to try it with my 1m Winegard.
The first question at this point is, what kind/brand of LNB do I need to get? I have searched on Internet and there are a few candidates, but I wouldn't be able to judge between them as I have no experience with C-Band.
I use a DMSI 421 C-Band LNBF. PSB has them (www.psbsatellite.com)

Secondly, once we have passed the curiosity point, there is the question that "is there really stuff on C-Band that is not available on Ku?" If most of the stuff on C-Band, is also relayed on Ku, then it would be difficult to justify it?!
Mike I had some success with analog and a 100cm
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=522058&postcount=440

But no. Most of what is on C-Band isnt on KU. There are some channels and feeds. I am working with a 6 footer tryign to get some networks on Galaxy 4 and mainly working at the top of my arc (91-99)

Das Hammer said:
If the winegard is an offset dish, wouldn't he be better off using one of the cone shaped (Devo Hat) style feedhorn?

Probably, but it's really not going to matter that much because the biggest problem with trying to get C band on a 1 meter dish is that the dish is way too small and it's beamwidth far too wide to avoid having problems with interference from adjacent satellites. So, spending any money on a different scaler ring would only be a waste of funds that would be better spent toward getting a bigger dish and would produce minimal, if any, noticeable gain because it doesn't address the main problem.

Stefan said:
Probably, but it's really not going to matter that much because the biggest problem with trying to get C band on a 1 meter dish is that the dish is way too small and it's beamwidth far too wide to avoid having problems with interference from adjacent satellites. So, spending any money on a different scaler ring would only be a waste of funds that would be better spent toward getting a bigger dish and would produce minimal, if any, noticeable gain because it doesn't address the main problem.

When I was testing my 90 cm mini-bud , I did notice the interfearance messing with the channels I was trying to watch . Just low signal .

But I am not saying it was not happening .

Wyr

Good luck. I got squat for digital. Nothing here in So Cal.
Very good analog feeds consisted of PBS on IA 6, and the church channels on I almost put Westar4 - G4.
Watchable analog feeds consisted of CBS on Tr 24 on IA 6, Pistons and Magic feeds where you could barely read the score on IA 6 and Buena Vista feed on G4.

IA 5 was bad. Suns and ABC barely watchable.

You could see signals all the way from IA 6 to G4 on the meter dish in just one location.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)