C band alignment

sanpat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2023
Rockport Tx.
Just when you think you have it figured out you find out there's more to learn, trying to setup a 6ft prodelin offset dish for a friend , c138 lnb ,conical scaler,using a v8 sat finder set to loop 101w,103,105 with active transponders for each ,tried 101 aligned I get 14 quality on 101 ,8 on 103 and 8 on105 ,at that position, have tried adjusting skew ,lnd in and out to get 14 % on 101 peaked ,do I have an alignment problem?

Just when you think you have it figured out you find out there's more to learn, trying to setup a 6ft prodelin offset dish for a friend , c138 lnb ,conical scaler,using a v8 sat finder set to loop 101w,103,105 with active transponders for each ,tried 101 aligned I get 14 quality on 101 ,8 on 103 and 8 on105 ,at that position, have tried adjusting skew ,lnd in and out to get 14 % on 101 peaked ,do I have an alignment problem?
First of all, you have a displacement problem. A 6 foot dish on C-band is far too small for anything other than MAYBE 99w and the Lesea stuff on 4040H. THAT you should be able to get solid.

Aim there, tune that in as best you can, and you'll learn enough to attempt trying some other sats. Still likely won't work on them, but you can try. If not, staying on 99w isn't that bad.

Reactions: harshness
First of all, you have a displacement problem. A 6 foot dish on C-band is far too small for anything other than MAYBE 99w and the Lesea stuff on 4040H. THAT you should be able to get solid.

Aim there, tune that in as best you can, and you'll learn enough to attempt trying some other sats. Still likely won't work on them, but you can try. If not, staying on 99w isn't that bad.
Yes 99w comes in well ,so guess I'm doing it all right , I was worried about size ,thanks for input have a nice day all .

A six foot dish would provide adequate signal gain from modern satellites, BUT the beamwidth is too wide and it will also pick up signals from the adjacent satellites on both sides of your target satellite. A 6 foot dish is not 2 degree compliant.

C-band satellites used to alternate the polarity and frequencies on adjacent birds, but not anymore. Especially since the c-band repack for the 5G sale, adjacent satellites are using the same frequencies for both polarities and using more aggressive FEC. A ten foot dish is a requirement for most services and the x-pole feed adjustments are more critical than ever to attenuate the opposite polarity carriers.

Reactions: Brct203