C-Band with Sonicview 4000

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jluyt

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
I have a Sonicview 4000, hooked up to a 36" and a motor. It works great.

Now, I became the proud owner of a 8 foot mesh dish. In a few months time I will look to buy a 4DTV receiver but not now. Thus, my question is, can I drive the 8 foot dish with my Sonicview 4000? Must I add a g-box or v-box? What will I NOT get by using my sonicview 4000 (if passable) as apposed to using a proper 4DTV receiver?

Justin

To use the Sonicview, you will need to add a VBox / GBox to drive the Motor. You will also need something to control the Skew / Polarity(usually an Analog / 4DTV receiver) or you could replace the current LNBF with one that has Voltage Controlled Polarity, like the BSC621-1.
Besides control Skew / Polarity and Drive the Dish, a 4DTV will allow you to subscribe to channels and give you some Free Channels.
It all depends on what your goal is. For me, it's all about High Def sports, this is where C Band shines.
A cheap HD receiver w/ VBox, Voltage Controlled BSC621 LNBF, a Big Dish, and Good People on the Internet sharing what they find, there is plenty up there to watch.
What is your goal?

My goal is mostly international channels... some non-us programming, etc

my BSC-621 never performed very well on KU. For a few it did. Search the forum before you buy a BSC-621-1 or 2.

You would be much better off with a Corotor II or some type of servo controlled feedhorn with seperate lnbs. The seperate componets just work better.
You need an analog receiver to control the polarity of the servo. At the same time it can position your dish. The analog boxes seem to be more accurate with the positioning than my V-boxes I have.

You just run power passing splitters on your c and Ku cables coming in to a diseqc switch on your FTA receiver. There is a lot of info on here about "slaving a fta receiver".

Good luck.

Well, I also am trying to get the most economical way to test my BUD setup and will get a 4DTV later.

If I have a v/gbox, do I need an analog receiver? Or can I drive the dish with the v/gbox and at least pick up c-band mpeg2 channels?

J

If using a V/G Box you do not need an Analog Receiver. The V Box will take a DiSEqC Position command from an FTA receiver and "translate" it to operate the Actuator.

what lbn and feedhorn is a good economical choice in such setup if i want to go 4dtv in the future?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts