C-Span 3

AntAltMike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
I just got a message that someone who gets CSpan and CSpan-2 from DirecTV lost their C-Span 3 a while ago and would like someone - me - to restore it to service for them. As of this moment, I have only communicated with them through an intermediary, but neither the end user or the intermediary are technology knowledgeable, so I guess I am going to have to do some exploratory work before I contact eiither of them again, lest I piss someone off by asking them a bunch of questions that they cannot answer.

I did find this:
Affiliates have until December 5, 2018, to make the transition from AMC 10 Transponder 19 to Galaxy 14 Transponder 12. Please make this transition ASAP.

I haven't done any C-band or Ku band other than DBS in I don't know how many years, but I told them I'm "game". I programmed some DSR receivers a decade or so ago, for HITS (Headend In the Sky) so I am sure I can slog my way through the reprogramming as long as I have a service number for support, but before I get to that point, I do need to repoint the dish.

I have a Blonder Tongue BTSA-5 spectrum analyzer, so as I nudge the dish from one AZ/EL to the next, I will be able to see the haystacks come and go, but as of this moment, I do not know 1) whether this is C-band or Ku or 2) just how far along the arc I will be moving the dish, or even 3) whether the polarity is the same. I'm assuming (hoping) it to be linearly polarized.

We used to have these monthly fold-out colored tables with satellite names and arc positions along the top that we'd steal from Satellite Monthly or whatever it was called. Can I find anything like that on line?

So, can someone tell me: 1) is this C or Ku, 2) where along the arc (longitude) are these satellites located, and 3) did the polarity stay the same, or if not, do the DSR receivers (I'm assuming that is what they have, though I won't be able to ask them before I arrive) have switchable polarity selection or will I have to physically rotate the feedhorn/probe on the dish itself?

I just got a message that someone who gets CSpan and CSpan-2 from DirecTV lost their C-Span 3 a while ago and would like someone - me - to restore it to service for them. As of this moment, I have only communicated with them through an intermediary, but neither the end user or the intermediary are technology knowledgeable, so I guess I am going to have to do some exploratory work before I contact eiither of them again, lest I piss someone off by asking them a bunch of questions that they cannot answer.

I did find this:
Affiliates have until December 5, 2018, to make the transition from AMC 10 Transponder 19 to Galaxy 14 Transponder 12. Please make this transition ASAP.

I haven't done any C-band or Ku band other than DBS in I don't know how many years, but I told them I'm "game". I programmed some DSR receivers a decade or so ago, for HITS (Headend In the Sky) so I am sure I can slog my way through the reprogramming as long as I have a service number for support, but before I get to that point, I do need to repoint the dish.

I have a Blonder Tongue BTSA-5 spectrum analyzer, so as I nudge the dish from one AZ/EL to the next, I will be able to see the haystacks come and go, but as of this moment, I do not know 1) whether this is C-band or Ku or 2) just how far along the arc I will be moving the dish, or even 3) whether the polarity is the same. I'm assuming (hoping) it to be linearly polarized.

We used to have these monthly fold-out colored tables with satellite names and arc positions along the top that we'd steal from Satellite Monthly or whatever it was called. Can I find anything like that on line?

So, can someone tell me: 1) is this C or Ku, 2) where along the arc (longitude) are these satellites located, and 3) did the polarity stay the same, or if not, do the DSR receivers (I'm assuming that is what they have, though I won't be able to ask them before I arrive) have switchable polarity selection or will I have to physically rotate the feedhorn/probe on the dish itself?

Just FYI, its available for free here: iGoCast - Live TV

Looks like you need to repoint your dish 10° to the east. Galaxy 14 is a C-Band satellite at 125°W Transponder 12 is 3940 V 29270 3/4 DCII modulation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts