C4 Discovery

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sdoradus

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 28, 2005
Monday I changed a few subs around in order to add the Discovery 4 pack. However the 3 on C4 (600-602-603)are doing the dance of death with 100% signal and quality jumping back and forth between 1 and 99 rapidly. NWCN on 581 is rock solid at 99 and the rest of my arc is a 90 plus quality so that shouldn't be an issue. Does anyone have any suggestions or is there an issue with the up-link?

SD

(TLC on C3 was doing a similar dance yesterday but settled down today)

I sub to those channels on C4 and haven't noticed anything unusual recently.

If you stand behind your dish when pointed at C4, is there anything blocking the line of sight? Trees are common on the lower satellites in the arc. Soon leaves will be dropping which may help if that's the case. Also it's solar outage time coming this week. For a few minutes each day while the sun is aligned behind the sat.

Thanks, at least knowing someone else is getting a clean signal on them lets me know the problem is on this end. Trees are not an issue in this case and its difficult for me to comprehend why I am having the problem just on those three. C4 is not even low on my arc since I live on the west coast at 123W. Although I first installed the dish in 1981 the electronics (cables, receiver, corotor 2 w/lnb ) are replacements less than 5 years old. Dish positioner and skew work cleanly. Have checked on everything I can think of with the exception of switching out the lnb with a spare that I keep on hand (not likely to work). Subscribed to these channels a few years ago but dropped them when I left NPS.

Last edited:
Polarity is fine and corotor is working properly. I did put on a new lnb (70 db gain with 13 degrees noise) but still no cigar. All I can think of now is going back on the roof and fine tuning everything from feedhorn position to elevation. Hopefully without messing up the rest of the arc. I guess it is possible that something has shifted slightly over the years but once I passed 60 climbing to the roof in the rain and fiddling with a lot of bolts with the wife yelling quality numbers out the window is not my first choice on how to spend a weekend.

Status
Please reply by conversation.