Discovery Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
It may be time to contact Discovery and let them know we are alive on the big dish and enjoy their channels. Were getting close to the wire and kind words can help the situation at this point. This idea was brought up by some a while back and now I think it's the right time to contact them.

Done, and thank you for the reminder! Remember, everyone.....our board's got a GREAT reputation for being polite with programmers and they seem to appreciate the opinions of those who post here.

tvropro said:
It may be time to contact Discovery and let them know we are alive on the big dish and enjoy their channels. Were getting close to the wire and kind words can help the situation at this point. This idea was brought up by some a while back and now I think it's the right time to contact them.

What's the method to contact them?

Spoke with someone at SRL today, she said "they hadn't heard anything yet and hopefully no news is good news"

I'm hoping the "Core Channels" just pop in on X4 one day! like soap-net....

Last edited:

Is there a specific contact? I don't know what to tell them. We don't have many receivers so there is no chance of growth in subscriptions. I tried to get the 4200V in the mix but no go on that and with nothing new on the horizon and beyond what is there to entice a programmer to bother with a moribund group. If I was them there would be little interest.

For those wanting to help by contacting Discovery, this is the method that was posting a while back and that I just used:

1) Goto: Contact : Discovery Communications
2) Select Age range, complete First & Last Names, E-mail Address
3) Select 'Corporate Information' from the 'Question Regarding' drop-down list
4) Click Next
5) Select 'C-band satellite/4DTV' from the 'Information Needed' drop-down list
6) Complete the comments box
7) Select your preferences for the 2 checkboxes and hit Submit

FWIW this was my last message:

I'm writing to say 'thank you' for extending your networks on HITS for the DSR receivers. I understand us bigdish viewers were granted a stay of execution at the beginning of the year and your channels continued to be carried for our viewing pleasure - Thank You!
I also understand that the time is coming where a decision on the future of the channels on HITS needs to be made, I sincerely hope the decision is to keep the channels available and if possible to add the core channels that my family have missed since the beginning of the year, specifically Discovery/TLC
Again, thank you and I sincerely hope we can continue to enjoy your programming on the HITS platform.

Last edited:
gardo403 said:
Spoke with someone at SRL today, she said "they hadn't heard anything yet and hopefully no news is good news"

I'm hoping the "Core Channels" just pop in on X4 one day! like soap-net....

does that mean there not adding the core channels and just hoping discovery won't take the other channels away?

Its been mapped in for me since feb but so is espn 2 I think and hbo so I don't think that means anything

Glad I saved the contact numbers from last time. Perhaps its time to call back they are very nice at discovery.

Even tho I got to the point where I eventually disliked NPS, at least they always had a rep or two on Satforums that kept everyone informed about things. No such thing with SkyVision or SRL I guess. Never see them posting on these boards keeping us informed about anything. I wonder if they too are working hard for C-band like NPS always claimed to have been doing? As of now, I haven't subbed. It's not that I don't want to, it's that I simply haven't seen anything enthusiastic on Sky's or SRL's part these days. Where are these folks at? Why don't they have a rep posting on these boards like NPS did? Makes one think they couldn't care less about the customers, and that they're raking in the dough while they can..forever how long it lasts. This might not even be true, but it's the impression I get.

Discovery access on HITS

I sent.... "I'd like to say thanks for extending your networks on HITS for the DSR receivers. I am appreciative BUD viewers were allowed access and your channels continued to be carried for our viewing pleasure - Thank You! I also understand that the time is coming where a decision on the future of the channels on HITS needs to be made, I sincerely hope the decision is to keep the channels available and if possible to add the core channels that my family have missed since the beginning of the year, specifically Discovery/TLC Again, thank you and I sincerely hope we can continue to enjoy your programming on the HITS platform. Sincerely, John

Even tho I got to the point where I eventually disliked NPS, at least they always had a rep or two on Satforums that kept everyone informed about things. No such thing with SkyVision or SRL I guess. Never see them posting on these boards keeping us informed about anything. I wonder if they too are working hard for C-band like NPS always claimed to have been doing? As of now, I haven't subbed. It's not that I don't want to, it's that I simply haven't seen anything enthusiastic on Sky's or SRL's part these days. Where are these folks at? Why don't they have a rep posting on these boards like NPS did? Makes one think they couldn't care less about the customers, and that they're raking in the dough while they can..forever how long it lasts. This might not even be true, but it's the impression I get.

Actually Tim posts on satforums, he posted a few things about a week or 2 ago unfortunately when asked about the Discovery's he did not reply, so that mite be a bad thing, not sure.

Never say never till it's proven. Stan from NPS posted on satforums but had an attitude too. See what NPS did to him in the end. SRL has always kept a low profile, thats just the way they are. From what I know Discovery will allow the core channels to us. HITS needs to find a place to put them on X4. If I have to guess they are probably working on the details with payment etc to Comcast. I think they are already in Megapipe on SES 1 maybe they can swap some stuff they won't sell us any more.

Actually Tim posts on satforums, he posted a few things about a week or 2 ago unfortunately when asked about the Discovery's he did not reply, so that mite be a bad thing, not sure.

When negotiations are taking place you may not hear much and those involved usually:cool: don't say anything until the deal is done.

When negotiations are taking place you may not hear much and those involved usually:cool: don't say anything until the deal is done.

Either that, or they wait until the last minute to tell you no deal. That way they don't lose customers during this time. They'll probably lose customers after the fact, but at least they didn't lose them in the meantime. Of course I'm hoping you are correct and I am wrong. But still, I can't help thinking like this after witnessing all of the dirty tricks over the years by NPS and other program providers, such as Superstar.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts