CA slot - what is this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

odinbear

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
central NY
Openbox has a CA Card reader slot - booklet says Conditional Access System.
Little research leads me to believe this is something used in Europe. Is it a subscription type service?
Anybody have a minute to explain what the card slot is for, etc. I'm clueless.:cool:

Yes. In Europe, you can sub to several different providers, which supply a card only. Allowing you to pick your own receiver.

Unfortunately, there's not much use for the CA slot in North America. Dish and Globecast both require their own receivers, and there are no other services presently that could make use of that slot. In the past, there was an adult subscription-based service on Ku-Band, but its gone now. I don't recall any other services that would have made use of the CA slot.

Unfortunately, there's not much use for the CA slot in North America. Dish and Globecast both require their own receivers, and there are no other services presently that could make use of that slot. In the past, there was an adult subscription-based service on Ku-Band, but its gone now. I don't recall any other services that would have made use of the CA slot.

So here it is 6 years later and I was curious as to whether or not, anyone knows of any developments with this topic, same question as originally posted...thanks

Yea it was FREE X Tv

I think that was back around 2004

I would have to disagree.

FreeDBS is back and alive you know who to call to get service Joe. :)

Sure would have been nice to use that feature here for an low cost highly customizable viewing package day dream over.

Status
Please reply by conversation.