Cable companies will expire your Six Feet Under recordings after 2-4 weeks

rtt2

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Is 'Transitional Fair Use' The Wave Of The Future?
Written By Rick Ellis, Monday, November 28th, 2004

When HBO's "Six Feet Under" returns in 2005, it won't just be the end of a long-running hit series. It may also be a turning point for TV viewers who are in the habit of recording shows to watch weeks or even months later.

Sources at two different cable companies have told AllYourTV.com that discussions have begun which will may lead to a restriction of use for fans of several popular television shows.

The discussions are reportedly in very early stages, and the details are still very broad. But this is what I can confirm at this date.

A middle-level executive at Time Warner has approached several cable companies and broached the idea of restricting the ability of customers who use those company's Digital Video Recorders to record several popular Time Warner TV programs.

The term being used by the executive is "transitional fair use," and the scenerio laid out goes roughly along these lines:

Viewers would be able to record an episode with their DVR, but there would be a time limit on how long it would be available for viewing. The executive was pushing for an expiration date that coincided with the premiere of the next episode. The consensus of the cable executived was that it needed to be between 2-4 weeks.

Regardless, the episode would then be unavailable until they are offered as part of a "video on demand" package. There would also be restrictions on recording episodes via VOD, with the Time Warner executive pushing for the ability to completely prevent recording the VOD presentations. Cable executives argue that this restriction prevents time-shifting and limits the revenue upside for both parties.

Once again, the episodes would be unavailable until they were offered again on cable, at a date that closely matched the release of the DVD box set.

While I have been unable to get any of the parties to publicly comment on the talks, several sources have confirmed the informal talks. It's difficult to know how serious the discussions will be, but it is known that several studios have been eyeing a restriction on the ability of viewers to record video-on-demand and pay-per-view titles.

There is certainly no legal reason to prevent studios or networks from pursuing this 'transitional copyright' approach to TV viewing. But it's difficuult for me to see just how it serves the needs of the viewer or the producers. It seems to be a punitive approach to the problem of illegal file-sharing. And it seems doomed to failure in the long term.

http://www.allyourtv.com/0405season/news/november/11282004transitional.html

When HBO's "Six Feet Under" returns in 2005, it won't just be the end of a long-running hit series. It may also be a turning point for TV viewers who are in the habit of recording shows to watch weeks or even months later.

A middle-level executive at Time Warner has approached several cable companies and broached the idea of restricting the ability of customers who use those company's Digital Video Recorders to record several popular Time Warner TV programs.

The term being used by the executive is "transitional fair use," and the scenario laid out goes roughly along these lines:

Viewers would be able to record an episode with their DVR, but there would be a time limit on how long it would be available for viewing. The executive was pushing for an expiration date that coincided with the premiere of the next episode. The consensus of the cable executives was that it needed to be between 2-4 weeks.

You might argue that copyright law, not cable company executives, is what grants or denies fair use. HBO would disagree.

1. Just one more reason to support & use stand-alone products that the user has more control of.

2. Burn your recordings to DVD.

re: Fair Use / DRM

I really wish someone would explain this to me - I've never understood this...

If the cable co's / HBO / NAB / RIAA - types are fighting over "intellectual property rights," then why does mode mean ANYTHING? Yes, I understand that having digital copies of things *might* make it easier to copy/distribute, but it should NOT prevent the recording of music / video from a given source. It's my damn right to do so, and these little nibblings away are really starting to tick me off.

I actually have a forum to air this with my congressman, I think it's time to nail this down.

Well I don't buy cable but I think this is only the beginning of the end. If the movie companies have there way everything will be like this before long...Then what?

silversurfer01973 said:
Well I don't buy cable but I think this is only the beginning of the end. If the movie companies have there way everything will be like this before long...Then what?

Read printed books . :D

hancox said:
re: Fair Use / DRM

I really wish someone would explain this to me - I've never understood this...

If the cable co's / HBO / NAB / RIAA - types are fighting over "intellectual property rights," then why does mode mean ANYTHING? Yes, I understand that having digital copies of things *might* make it easier to copy/distribute, but it should NOT prevent the recording of music / video from a given source. It's my damn right to do so, and these little nibblings away are really starting to tick me off.

I actually have a forum to air this with my congressman, I think it's time to nail this down.

BUMP on my q...

My guess is that Time Warner will be the first to impliment this.
Afterall they own Time Warner Cable and HBO/Cinemax. They are one of the largest MSOs.
After the aquisition of Adelphia those customers will be forced to accept the new terms as well.

Then when each contract is up for the HBO networks operators Cable and Satellite will be forced to the new agreements.

It also doesn't record Dolby Digital and you cant record the digital bit stream.

Wasn't there an interview recently where a TiVo executive talked about upcoming features including using Macrovision to expire some programming?

I remember this person saying that the Macrovision feature was only going to be used for PPV and VOD programming and they would fight any other use. Anybody else remember that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)