Cable internet installation question

KyDave

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 3, 2003
Kentucky
Considering switching from dsl to cable internet, and was wondering if anyone might know this.

I would like them to use a coax from outside the house to the spot in my home where my current router setup is. My concern is that it is wired from 1997, and I think it is likely rg59 rather than rg6.

Would the rg59 work?

Why wouldn't you want them to run a new start of the art cable run, rather than use a 15 year old most likely outdated piece of cable? Time Warner's Cable Modems in this part of the country have built in wireless and four ports; so it doesn't really matter where your router is, unless you are supplying your own cable modem. If that is the case, run your own ethernet cable to your router from the cable modem, like I have done. My "owned cable modem" is in my basement and I have run ethernet cable to my wireless router on the main floor.

Existing rg59 run is up two insulated wall, thru attic, and down 2 insulated walls. Would just dread having that replaced.

But I do like your idea of a simple cat5 cable from wherever it ends up being to my main location. That would work. Thanks.

Interesting that the TW router has wireless built in (I guess that is the norm anymore), would be interesting to see how it compares with my current wireless setup (tomato w/ linksys WRT54GL).

Existing rg59 run is up two insulated wall, thru attic, and down 2 insulated walls. Would just dread having that replaced.

But I do like your idea of a simple cat5 cable from wherever it ends up being to my main location. That would work. Thanks.

Interesting that the TW router has wireless built in (I guess that is the norm anymore), would be interesting to see how it compares with my current wireless setup (tomato w/ linksys WRT54GL).

Time Warner would be willing to let you use your own line if it passes a leakage test. You also will have to sign off on the contractors work order that you refuse a new line being installed. Other then that you are fine to use the cable already in place as long as it is good enough. If the cable is bad/damaged etc then they have no option but to install a new line. But the contractor will not insist you get a new one, as he gets paid regardless of you getting the new line or not it saves him work and if you sign off on it hes covered.

So it should not be a problem to use your pre-run home run (cable outlet) as long as its good :) RG59 or not. The only real difference (shielding being equal) is the RG59 loses signal in shorter distance then the RG6 but if the run is not 150ft+ or you should have plenty of signal to reach to your modem and work fine.

Considering switching from dsl to cable internet, and was wondering if anyone might know this.

I would like them to use a coax from outside the house to the spot in my home where my current router setup is. My concern is that it is wired from 1997, and I think it is likely rg59 rather than rg6.

Would the rg59 work?

I've seen many an install with rg59, have the tech do a whole house health check if your provider has that option after he does the install that will tell him what the levels are on the modem. As long as the run is off the first splitter and nor real long you should have no issues.

Doug

If the cable company will not charge you for upgrading your coaxial cable to rg6 system ,then no problem. If otherwise, you can buy the cable from fry's electronics or home depot and bring the cable to the outside of your house and into their splitter.

KyDave said:

They offer a wireless modem router combo. Most isps offer it. Where I live its a extra 5.oo month fee for it. I have a cable modem from twc that is hooked up to my own router

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts