Cable internet vs. DSL

To the OP, have you checked to see if U-Verse internet is available at your location, which IIRC maxes out at 45Mbps. If not and DSL is all you can get from AT&T I'd stick with cable for internet.

Reactions: Troch77
I think I will stick with my Frontier DSL at 21 MB down and 2 MB up. It has been pretty solid other than when they had to replace two DSLAMs the other day (Master and Slave Adtran units) but they came out the next day and fixed it. No data caps is what keeps me with them. If they add the data caps then I am gone forever. If they had not upgraded to bonding out here and kept us at 6 MB then I would have already left. The technician says that they are going to try to have 10 MB as the new minimum (6 MB is the current minimum) for new customers soon.

What do y'all think of 12mbps from CenturyLink?
If 12Mbps is considerably faster than anything you've had previously, I think you could be happy. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face if the 40Mbps product is the same price as it is where I live.

Repair times can be pretty brutal as naked DSL (without land line service) seems to be at the bottom of their service priority.

Repair times can be pretty brutal as naked DSL (without land line service) seems to be at the bottom of their service priority.
interesting as when I had DSL they would come out usually next day (I had multiple issues when I had 1.5 DSL at the house)
Had only one issue at the apartment (had 20MB there) and they were out next afternoon

DSL to them should be the same if you have phone service or not. It still runs on the phone line

DSL to them should be the same if you have phone service or not. It still runs on the phone line
From a regulatory standpoint, Internet isn't yet a "lifeline" service whereas land line voice service is typically still treated as lifeline. That is why naked DSL may not get as high a priority.

A co-worker of mine was given an estimate from CenturyLink Customer Service of 10 days to repair an unidentified issue a while back.

Not all markets get the kind of service that you experienced.

VERIZON DSL is usually a 3-7 day wait for repair services in my area.
But so are the phone line repairs.

Cable is same day, if not nextday. 7 days a week up until 9 PM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Frontier stated 7 days to fix our DSL issue. I told them they will lose a bunch of business here as we have faster cable service available here now. They came out the next morning and fixed it.

Reactions: TheKrell
interesting as when I had DSL they would come out usually next day (I had multiple issues when I had 1.5 DSL at the house)
Had only one issue at the apartment (had 20MB there) and they were out next afternoon

It is the same, harshness is just being harshness.

From a regulatory standpoint, Internet isn't yet a "lifeline" service whereas land line voice service is typically still treated as lifeline. That is why naked DSL may not get as high a priority.

A co-worker of mine was given an estimate from CenturyLink Customer Service of 10 days to repair an unidentified issue a while back.

Not all markets get the kind of service that you experienced.
Alll depends on how busy the company is at the time and that varies from day to day.
If theres storms going on they tend to push the dates bacvk and when we show up early, all the better ... its all about not missing the commitment that the higher ups push down the companies throat.

VERIZON DSL is usually a 3-7 day wait for repair services in my area.
But so are the phone line repairs.

Cable is same day, if not nextday. 7 days a week up until 9 PM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I had the same issue with Verizon when they were here, regardless of the service.

Cable here can get to you the same day often because they don't cover the amount of people.

At this location we have DSL for our Internet, and the tech who came out explained that the closer you are to the DSL hub the better service you will get. Our hub is about 1/2 mile away and DSL has provided excellent service, not outages, no headaches whatsoever. They also throw in free incoming landline phone service but no outgoing calling except for 911.

Reactions: Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)