Cable Modem differences

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the Motorolla SB6121, 6141, and 6180?

I'm done leasing my modem from Suddenlink as it's only a DOCSIS 2.0 and I'm tired of paying $10 a month for it. I want a DOCSIS 3.0. Suddenlink has assured me any DOCSIS 3.0 modem will work on their system.

A DOCSIS 3 modem will work on a DOCSIS 2 system, however does your system support DOCSIS 3? If not then you wont see any better speeds.

Not sure what the differences are in the models, I believe I have a 6180 at home though.

Oh yes, Suddenlink says they support DOCSIS 3, and in fact is required if we ever up our speed, even though I don't think I'm getting the max performance for the speed we have (I believe 15/2, though I'm not 100% on that upload speed).

Don't you get some benefit by going to 3 even if you're only paying for 2 service? I've considered doing the same thing you're doing... giving back the Cox modem and buying a docsis 3 from Frys. For one reason or another never followed through.

I have the SB6120 and have been very happy with it. The SB6121 is exactly the same as the 6120 except for some cosmetic differences. The SB6141 has twice the download capacity as the 6121. The SB6180 doesn't seem to be available at retail yet. Hope this helps.
http://www.squidoo.com/motorola-sb6141-or-sb6121-which-of-these-cable-modem-should-i-buy
The Motorola SB6141 is the latest in the SB61xx family that started with the SB6120 and then followed by the SB6121. However both Motorola SB6120 and SB6121 are essentially the same technically except for the box design and some minor variations. The SB6141 continues in that fashion. Design wise, the SB6121 and SB6141 are also essentially the same.

However there are two main things that makes the SB6141 different from the SB6121. Most important of all is that the SB6141 has twice the download capacity than that of the SB6121. This is due to the fact that the SB6141 has the ability to channel bond up to eight channel downstream instead of four for the SB6121. The other factor is that the SB6141 is not only the latest of the SB61xx family but it is also slightly cheaper than its predecessor even though it has a bigger capacity.

A DOCSIS 3 modem will work on a DOCSIS 2 system, however does your system support DOCSIS 3? If not then you wont see any better speeds.

Not sure what the differences are in the models, I believe I have a 6180 at home though.

Actually you should see somewhat faster downloads in that situation.

Don't you get some benefit by going to 3 even if you're only paying for 2 service? I've considered doing the same thing you're doing... giving back the Cox modem and buying a docsis 3 from Frys. For one reason or another never followed through.

I bought a docsis 3 modem from Suddenlink for around $80 about six months ago. A good deal considering I have seen them priced anywhere from $90-$150. Anyways I am only paying for the 20.0 speed and regularly clock in anywhere between 25-30 on download speed tests.

Get one that does 8 channel bonding so you are covered for whatever configuration they have or go to. You may not need that much speed but you never know how the nodes are split and the more channels guarantees you a higher chance of obtaining the speed you pay for.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Finally ready to pull the trigger on this. Amazon has the Motorolla SB6180 used for $54.95 with free shipping. They also have a Cisco DPC3010 used for $39.99 with free shipping. Both have 8 channel download capability. Both are compatible with Suddenlink. Does anyone know of the Cisco modem and if so if its any good?

I just ordered the Zoom 5341J to replace my SB6120. Comcast in my area has been having a huge issue with the Motorola modems. They rolled out new firmware in April (for the speed doubling) that caused all kinds of problems. New firmware was just released that fixed some but not all of the problems. The Zoom modems have not been affected so far.

I just noticed that TWC just included a $3.95 lease fee on my modem this month. They started doing this in November. I now have the option to purchase my own modem however.

The modem that TWC gives is a good one though. It is a Motorola SB6580 D3.0 with 8 channel bonding.

I can buy one from Suddenlink that is Docsis 3.0 but its $85 and its an Arris.

People say the Cisco is better but doesn't have as good of a signal and logs page as the Motorola. Both work well. I wouldn't do the arris thing myself.

Sent from a little old Note 2

I have never checked the signal and logs page of the one we have now. So the Cisco one is good?

Ordered the Cisco modem for $39.99 with free shipping. It's supposed to be here next week. Can't wait!

Got the Cisco in today and installed. According to the status screen it's using 3 channels bonded for the download side.

2.0 DOCSIS modem to a 3.0...

I have Cox Cable in Rhode Island.

Until 2 hours ago, I had a Scientific Atlanta 2100 DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem. Using SpeedTest (to a Boston server, 22ms) I got Down/24.35 Mbps Up/8.45 Mbps.

I just installed a new Motorola SB6180 that I picked up from the Cox retail store (overpaid, but wanted it NOW...). Ran SpeedTest again... Down/24.58 Mbps Up/22.45 Mbps.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)