cable runs to dish

Noresults

Aug 24, 2007
I am bulding a new home and am not shure of what to run to dish location. I haven't deceided which provider Dish or Direct. I ran 3 RG 6 to a possible dish location. Will this be adequate for HD on dish or direct tv. I thought I read that Direct has a 5 LNB dish. Does this require 5 RG6 to the dish? If so is the the same with dish network?

Thanks

iwc5893

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 1, 2007
The desert of WA, zip code EIEIO
Three cables to the outlet from the drop point would be sufficient, but from the drop point to the dish location I would run at least 4 if not 6 to allow for future expansion. There is a built in multiswitch in D* dishes that can run up to four receivers without the use of an additional multiswitch.

Noresults

Aug 24, 2007
I guess I wasn't clear. I ran 3 rg6 from the distribution point to where a dish would be mounted and from the distribution panel I ran 1 rg6 to each outlet that I have a tv. The distribution panel receives the 3 rg6 from the attic close to where I would mount a dish. I also ran rg 6 from the outside if I was to go with cable.

Since I only ran 3 will I get by with this? Thanks

jdspencer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 22, 2004
Binghamton, NY
To properly use the DirecTV 3LNB or 5LNB dishes you need to run 4 RG6 cables to your distribution part. This way you can add to your system more easily. If all you need is three, then it's okay.

toshroberts

Oct 8, 2006
Provo Utah
I will throw in my oppinion. I have been installing DISH for 2 and a half years now and my favorite installations are the ones where there are 4 cables from the dish location (2 white and 2 black) and then from the distribution point 1 white and 1 black to each location (or atleast each receiver location.)

This kind of setup makes for the best instalation, i.e. no diplexing for back feeds. 2 cables to each tv makes an installer like me extremely happy.

I think though if you really want to future proof your system send 6 cables from the dish location to the distribution location. (not sure if you will ever need 6 lines though)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts