Cable TV - Good to Bad

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
Just some of the good cable TV channels that had gone bad.

Do you remember when:

1) MTV showed videos 24 hours a day in the 80's and had VJ's? Now they have shows like The Real World and Jackass.

2) FX shot live series from an apartment building in New York and showed classics such as Nanny and the Professor and Family Affair? Now they mostly show old movies.

3) TechTV showed The Screen Savers and Call for Help with Leo and offered good advice and information on computers? Now they have young kids doing the shows and don't offer much computer advice.

4) HBO showed hit movies in the 70's and was worth the money? Now they show the same movies over and over. Most of them that we saw years ago, only now for more money.

5) VHI had VJ's like Bobbie Rivers and Imus and showed videos? Now they show Partridge Family talent shows.

6) Cinemax showed unique movies during the early 80's when it first premiered? Now they show reruns of HBO movies.

7) The Game Show Network showed good old black and white game shows of the past on Sunday nights. Now they show new game shows that they produce.

8) Nick at Night showed classics like Dennis the Menace, Mr. Ed, Dobbie Gillas? Now they just have shows of the 80's like Cheers, Bill Cosby and Full House.

9) The Cartoon Network showed classics like The Flintstones, Jetsons, Top Cat? Now they show Johnny Bravo and have you pay extra to receive Boomerang.

10) CBN showed classics like Hazel? Now it is the Family Channel (AKA The Mary Kate and Ashley Channel).

Do you remember others?

Would you rather have 15 HBO channels that continue to show movies over and over and movies that you already seen, or just 1 HBO channel that shows the best hit movies before they come to video?

Are we really getting more or are we getting less?

Just my opinion,
Dave Rinker :cool:

welcome to the site. glad you are here.

many others feel the same way you do. i miss some of the good ole tv channels. just remember, the public determines what is shown. we are watching it.

Here's one thats demise has been painful to watch... Remember TNN?

...as in The Nashville Network...back when it was 24 hour Country Music shows. I grew up listening to country music, and there were alot of good programs, some original series (remember I-40 Paradise? Campy as all get out, but pretty funny), Shotgun Red (the puppet) ran the weekly show of those new fangled country music videos. Even ran some NASCAR races on the weekends, before the big $$$ took over the sport.

Then things started going down hill...adding reruns unrelated to music at all...finally changed the name to The National Network, relegating country music to Saturday Night only...then finally the switch to Spike TV...the stations that primarily takes foreign reality game shows and redubs them with wannabe comedians.

Yeah...that was progress. Kinda like CMT...which has gone the same route as MTV.

TV is lacking. I remember when I was young it was nice to wake up on saturday early to watch cartoons, now it's not even worth it. I just watch tv when I'm bored, even computers are getting boring to me and I've used them for 15 years, hopefully it's just a phase. However my 50 year old mother never seems to get bored watching Operah and Dr Phil.

My theory is that every new channel, no matter what its focus, no matter what its niche, will eventually evolve into just another copy of whatever everyone else is showing. It can take a long time (see ESPN's slow move to "entertainment" programming) or a blink of an eye (see many examples above), but that's what happens.

A happier list would be the list of holdouts, the channels that have stayed true to their charter. Turner Classic Movies comes immediately to mind. They have shorter histories, but maybe we'd count Boomerang and VH1 Classic. (I'm fascinated by the parallels between those two. Each was spun off from a popular channel, each wound up on digital/AT180-type tiers, and each pretty much shows what its parent channel used to show. But I digress.) Anyway, what are the other completely consistent channels?

How about American Movie Classics? When they started they showed mostly black and white classics of the 30s and 40s. They developed an audience and were the place to go to see these films uncut and commercial free. They got involved in restoration of classic films and were highly respected. Well, they got greedy and made a "pact with the devil". Out went the classics and in came the commercials. Sadly, from what I've read, they are making a ton of money. Turner Classics is doing a great job of filling the niche and I hope they continue for a long time.

Im sorry to say that Direc ditched a truly unique channel. ''Trio''
This is what its about..Getting rid of programs that are unique and truly
enrich our lives. Not the same junk that is rehashed over and over again..

DWS44 said:
Here's one thats demise has been painful to watch... Remember TNN?

...as in The Nashville Network...back when it was 24 hour Country Music shows. I grew up listening to country music, and there were alot of good programs, some original series (remember I-40 Paradise? Campy as all get out, but pretty funny), Shotgun Red (the puppet) ran the weekly show of those new fangled country music videos. Even ran some NASCAR races on the weekends, before the big $$$ took over the sport.

very true....I remember seeing NASCAR on TNN all the time :)
Then things started going down hill...adding reruns unrelated to music at all...finally changed the name to The National Network, relegating country music to Saturday Night only...then finally the switch to Spike TV...the stations that primarily takes foreign reality game shows and redubs them with wannabe comedians.

Yeah...that was progress. Kinda like CMT...which has gone the same route as MTV.

When it was still Nashville Network they had ECW Wrestling on Friday nights :) Sadly, that was the demise of ECW sicne TNN did no advertising for them and they thought it was a joke for "rockinbowl"

When they changed, they got WWE (WWF) to come over so they could throw ECW off.

remeber the National Network slogan? "We've got pop"
or as Joey Styles (ECW announcer) use to say right before they got thrown off TNN "that is about as stupid as a gimmick as you can get. Runs a close second to the Nashville Network's orignal slogan...we f**k pigs. Remember fans. They've got pop"

Complain to NBC/Universal about Trio, not D*

Although I feel the same way about most of these channels, I feel we get some of the blame as well. Program managers put on shows that draw ratings and remove those that don't so they can stay alive. American viewers have helped ruin TV by becoming so addicted to FAKE "reality' TV. They have turned everything into scripted, soap opera like BS shows.

1. Soaps
2. Jerry Springer (and copies)
3. Judge Judy (and copies)
4. Wrestling (and copies)
5. American Idol (and copies)
6. Survivor (and copies)
7. The Apprentice (and copies)
8. Fear Factor (and copies)

Don't put wrestling in with those other "reality" crap things.

I watch wrestling...not the rest

only true reality show...COPS

Iceberg, I certainly miss ECW Wrestling as well. I also miss the Roller Derby shows that were on during the 70's.

Remember when E Entertainment showed good programming? Now they became the 24 hour "True Hollywood Story" channel.

I also loved the BBC show "Changing Rooms" several years ago. Then came Trading PLaces and a whole pile of copy cats on just about every network imaginable.

Iceberg said:
Don't put wrestling in with those other "reality" crap things. I watch wrestling...not the rest only true reality show...COPS

I only lump wrestling in there now because they too spend too much time focusing on the scripts as opposed to the action. They also rape (yes, I said it) the viewers with ridiculous PPV fees and they have way too many shows on each week promoting the same crap from the same company. How about just one or two quality action ladened shows?

PopcornNMore said:
Iceberg, I certainly miss ECW Wrestling as well. I also miss the Roller Derby shows that were on during the 70's.

Got hooked when I saw it on MSG Network on Primestar....have almost every TV show they did :)

charper1 said:
I only lump wrestling in there now because they too spend too much time focusing on the scripts as opposed to the action.
Watch some Independent wrestling....all wrestling, not much BS filler. I can miss a Raw or Smackdown, but I can't miss NWA Wildside :)
They also rape (yes, I said it) the viewers with ridiculous PPV fees and they have way too many shows on each week promoting the same crap from the same company. How about just one or two quality action ladened shows?
I haven't ordered a PPV in a couple years...once it got to 34.95 a month I said screw it.
As for the number...exactly. Get rid of Heat & Velocity and have just Raw & Smackdown. Give other wrestlers opportunity to shine, and not be held down by the bosses son-in-law. :D

Iceberg said:
Watch some Independent wrestling....all wrestling, not much BS filler. I can miss a Raw or Smackdown, but I can't miss NWA Wildside :)

I haven't ordered a PPV in a couple years...once it got to 34.95 a month I said screw it.
As for the number...exactly. Get rid of Heat & Velocity and have just Raw & Smackdown. Give other wrestlers opportunity to shine, and not be held down by the bosses son-in-law. :D

psssst. pssstt. you are joining me in the dark side luke!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)