CableCard passthrough?

cokewithvanilla

Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
America
Is it possible to wire something so that a cable card can pass signal to multiple tuners? I know that one cable card can support more than one tuner, I just don't know how.

My problem is that comcast has encrypted everything and requires a separate box for each tv... this ruins my media center pc's. They will not offer a decoder that is not a tuner, and my Media Center does far more than anything they could ever hope to offer.

I would like to pass the decrypted signal from the cable card to the rest of my house. I am not trying to steal cable, or get more than what I pay for, I am simply trying to avoid having to buy $200-400 tuner cards for every media center PC I own so that they can function as intended once more.

The wiring that you're referring to is something that must be done within the host device itself, and the design thereof approved by CableLabs. It is not something that it possible to do yourself.

A purpose of CableCARD is to ensure that you're receiving service on only the outlets you've paid for. Generally, one full digital outlet is included in your package price, and then you are required by tariff to pay the service provider more for each additional full digital outlet. So what you're suggesting is not only impossible, but also illegal.

You were able to do it in the past, because there was no effective way of catching you doing it and preventing you from doing it. That's one reason why CableCARD was introduced -- to prevent folks from splitting clear-channel cable networks and distributing them themselves (either within their own home, or to neighboring apartments, for example) without paying extra.

...Generally, one full digital outlet is included in your package price, and then you are required by tariff to pay the service provider more for each additional full digital outlet. So what you're suggesting is not only impossible, but also illegal.
What do you mean by "tariff", the government places a tariff, the content provider?? I've never heard this, the government is taxing each TV that receives digital cable service in your home? Why is this NOT more common knowledge??

You were able to do it in the past, because there was no effective way of catching you doing it and preventing you from doing it. That's one reason why CableCARD was introduced -- to prevent folks from splitting clear-channel cable networks and distributing them themselves (either within their own home, or to neighboring apartments, for example) without paying extra.
Huh, CableCard was mandated by the 1996 telecommunications act to keep the cable co's from turning their networks into a proprietary system that locks out all open market equipment and forces their customers into paying fee upon fee to the cable co for whatever inferior equipment the cable co will provide to work with their system.

The Cable Co's were required by law to develop the CableCard technology, and from what I can find, everyone familiar with the issue blames the cable co's for the technology NOT getting off the ground, because it was NOT in their interest to have it widely implemented.

People splitting the signal and distributing themselves within their home?? Since when has this NOT been considered fair use?? COMCAST has no problem with people using routers to distribute internet within their homes, since when have they considered it wrong to do the same with TV?? Only with the digital transition where they could create a scheme to nickle and dime their customers to death for extra fees for everything they want to do, have we seen this change.

The FCC's new broadband plan, where they make it clear they are P.O. with the Cable Co's and their scuttling of CableCard, is now requiring Home Gateway devices that will return cable service to what it used to be, all your channels in the clear within your home, where you can do what you want with it, split it for as many TV's as you want, use what ever recording device you want, etc. I have tough time believing its illegal to distribute the digital cable service within your home when the FCC in so many words has said to the Cable Co's "you are monopolizing jerks, you will return your service back to the way it used to be".

Yea, the laws and regs are massive, so I don't know any of this for sure, but what you've posted just doesn't make sense, I have never seen it anywhere before and its contradictory to a lot of credible stuff I have seen.

cokewithvanilla, now that I'm off my soap box, I agree with bicker on the point you can't re-wire a cablecard device to distribute the channels. Each CableCard is suppose to have the ability to decrypt 6 channels simultaneously, but the device you use the cablecard with has to be able to support that.

CableLabs, from what I understand has been constantly changing the standards, protocols and certification requirements, that is why there are so few devices for it, and the few that make it to market are soon dropped. NOT to mention the few I have seen, are outrageously expensive, see above about the cable co's trying to scuttle the technology they were mandated to field. Only the TiVo is half reasonably priced and I suspect they are selling them for a loss and making it up with the high priced monthly fees for service on the TiVo.

I have heard there will be a HDHomeRun with CableCard, again expensive, but NOT the $400 of a ceton tuner card (that isn't even available yet). This ports the tuning over your home network to your PC's.

... from what I can find, everyone familiar with the issue blames the cable co's for the technology NOT getting off the ground, because it was NOT in their interest to have it widely implemented.
Of course people blame cable companies. That's what people do. :rolleyes:

People splitting the signal and distributing themselves within their home?? Since when has this NOT been considered fair use??
It has never been considered Fair Use. You've been snowed.
Fair Use is the inclusion of a portion of copyrighted work in another, for commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching or scholarship.
Service providers have the absolute right to charge for each reception device, for advanced services. If you don't believe, try taking them to court.

COMCAST has no problem with people using routers to distribute internet within their homes, since when have they considered it wrong to do the same with TV??
I don't have the exact date when the started introducing additional outlet fees for additional digital outlets. I doubt you really care about the date. The fact is that they do. Perfectly and completely in accordance with the law. And more importantly, similar to what all their competitors do.

Only with the digital transition where they could create a scheme to nickle and dime their customers to death for extra fees for everything they want to do, have we seen this change.
Stop whining. If it isn't of value to you, then do without the additional service. If it is of value to you, then pay the additional fee.

The FCC's new broadband plan, where they make it clear they are P.O. with the Cable Co's and their scuttling of CableCard, is now requiring Home Gateway devices
Bull. They are considering a gateway approach to the next generation of home entertainment devices. READ THEIR OVERVIEW. You, Mongo, will be especially shocked, since it explicitly allows service providers to charge for each stream.

that will return cable service to what it used to be, all your channels in the clear within your home, where you can do what you want with it, split it for as many TV's as you want, use what ever recording device you want, etc.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. You have no idea what you're talking about.

I have tough time believing its illegal to distribute the digital cable service within your home when the FCC in so many words has said to the Cable Co's "you are monopolizing jerks, you will return your service back to the way it used to be".
You've created this fiction in your head, so far from reality that I'm embarrassed for you.

Yea, the laws and regs are massive, so I don't know any of this for sure
My late mother taught me that if I didn't know what I was talking about, that I should keep my mouth shut. You should heed my mother's advice.

Correcting more of Mongo's ridiculously erroneous silliness...
CableLabs, from what I understand has been constantly changing the standards, protocols and certification requirements, that is why there are so few devices for it, and the few that make it to market are soon dropped.
Wrong. The standards and protocols haven't changed. The changes to the certification process have only been to remove requirements, to make it easier for products to get certified. Again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

The reason why there are so few CableCARD devices is that the American consumer is cheap. They don't want to provide enough profit to a STB manufacturer to make it worthwhile to develop, market and support such devices in the consumer marketplace. Just look at Motorola and Cisco -- they actually DO make these devices, but refuse to make them available for retail sale in the US. There just isn't enough money in it for them, and given that they've already incurred the costs of design, development, implementation, manufacturing engineering, and even distribution, the only reason why they would not offer them for sale to the general public is because of the cost of providing customer support to overly-self-entitled American consumers.

They do sell them in Canada! Of course, most Canadians consumers are far more rational than typical American consumers.

NOT to mention the few I have seen, are outrageously expensive
Thanks for making my point. You're just another typical American consumer, unwilling to pay for something what it actually is worth, therefore making it unattractive to manufacturers to offer their products to you.

The cable companies pay upwards of $400 per DVR, and you're right that cheap American consumers, with a permanent short-term view on everything, wouldn't want to pay that much when they could pay $18 per month instead, even though they'd eventually break-even.

Stop blaming others, Mongo. The fault rests solely within the American consumer, ourselves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)