Structured wiring

vodil

Original poster
May 31, 2010
SF Bay Area
I am considering going from cable to Sat, but I am not sure if I can make it work with my existing structured wiring system.
Right now the cable comes into a closet where it is amplified and split and then patched to the places I have TVs (currently 3 DVRs including 1 HD).

I keep hearing that each TV needs multiple cables connected to it. Does that mean I can't used my existing wiring? I have no problem running 4 (or whatever) cables to the closet, but I really don't want to run more cables to each room.

Both dish and direct have technology that allows them to need only 1 coax going to a receiver (dish has dpp and direct has swm ). However there can be no splits in the line between the dish and the receiver and the quality of your current cable also makes a difference. You're probably not going to want to use older rg59 coax for sat.

What is the Min and preferred structured wiring for Satellite? RG6 or RG6UQ?

I've seen some specs thrown around about 3GHz and 1GHz coax? Should I be looking for 3 GHz coax or is just RG6 of any quality less than 100ft sufficient?

RG6 that is tested to 3Ghz is what you need. I did quad shield, because it wasn't much more and you can never have too much shielding.

I love my structured wiring, but it was a pain running all that cable. I did 3 coax and 2 cat5 at each tv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)