CableCard question

CubsWin

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
I currently have a CableCard in my TV to receive Comcast digital service, and they installed it for me about a year ago. If I purchase a TiVo DVR, will I just be able to switch the card over myself, or does it have to be paired to the device? Would that require another call to Comcast for a technician to come out?

mike123abc

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
You will need your cable company to probably visit. The new TiVo premieres take an Mcard. The older TiVos took 2 Scard cablecards. Your TV probably has an Scard, so you would need 2 or if you have a new TiVo an Mcard.

bicker

bicker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 15, 2009
Burlington, MA
Comcast pairs the CableCARDs they lease to the host device they're installed into, so they will not decrypt anything unless they are re-paired to the new device.

Mike: The OP indicated that the CableCARD was installed only about a year ago. By then, many areas had run out of S-cards, and were installing exclusively M-cards. So it is possible that the CableCARD in the HDTV is an M-card. However, as I mentioned, it is almost surely paired to the HDTV, so still would have to be re-paired to the TiVo.

CubsWin

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
The OP indicated that the CableCARD was installed only about a year ago. By then, many areas had run out of S-cards, and were installing exclusively M-cards. So it is possible that the CableCARD in the HDTV is an M-card.
I popped the card out of my TV and it appears to be an S-card. I have an appointment with Comcast next week for them to install a new M-card, so hopefully everything goes smoothly. It took them a couple hours last time to finally get my old card paired properly.