Cablevision Enters into Interim Agreement Regarding VOOM

Lucky said:
Yeah, but they will soon. He needs to lease space on Rainbow 1 so he can use it during in the interim period when he switches everyone over to Rainbow 2. He would not have enough time to get everyone over to R2 before Echostar takes over R1.

I'm sure the agreement (thats all it was) has a way out. If Charles wants to pay the termination fee, whats stopping him from doing so?

No; it is different. They were ENDING broadcast on March 31 without the option to save it as a result of the orders of James Dolan. Charles Dolan put an end to that immenent closure and has until that time to salvage the deal, which he will, or he would not have poured so much time and effort into saving it.

juan said:
not trying to rain on anybodys parade..but the "march 31st" date hasnt changed at all..sounds like rehashed news to me

March 31 is a month later than Feb 28 whem the last agreement expired. Thats a good thing. Any news that isn't shutting down Voom is a good thing. Can you guys try to be a little more positive :D :D

Lucky said:
Yeah, but they will soon. He needs to lease space on Rainbow 1 so he can use it during in the interim period when he switches everyone over to Rainbow 2. He would not have enough time to get everyone over to R2 before Echostar takes over R1.

if its approved by the fcc, which may not approve if if chuck says i need it to operate voom and have it a viable 3rd dbs provider. then the fcc may just only allow it to be used for the voom services

This looks to me like the news we have been waiting for. All we had before was a letter of intent with no agreement. Today we have an "AGREEMENT".

It sounds like Chuck's plan to acquire VOOM has been accepted by the CVC board. That means they won't be threatening to shut VOOM down for a while. If Chuck can't meet the agreement by the end of the month then I would see the CVC board starting the threats again.

The way I see this WE WON!!! Chuck is going to fulfil his agreement and VOOM will survive, at least in the short term. I think it's time to start looking beyond this CVC bloodbath and start looking at the future of VOOM.

I wish I had a few hundred MILLION dollars to throw down the garbage disposal. Especially if there was more where that came from.

Heck, I'd tell him what he should do with ALL of his companies for half that! :D

I look at it this way. Mr. Dolan has 3 weeks to find a way to finance the Voom venture and come up with a plan to make it profitable within a reasonable amount of time. Cablevision is not liable for expenses above what they would have paid to shut off the service, so we are now assured of service through the end of this month. And then we will be back to where we were a couple of days ago where the fate was uncertain.

So I'm thinking we are not dead in the water, and a lot of things can happen in 3 weeks. Especially in light of some of the new members on the board. The wheels are still spinning.

Anyone have a clue on what it would have cost CVC to have shutdown VOOM? I get the feeling an IPO is in the works with all the heavy hitters Dolan Sr. brought to the table. I have a couple bucks sitting in the cookie jar.

Actually, I think this is very positive news since: "pursuant to which the parties will work cooperatively to finalize the separation from Cablevision of its Rainbow DBS operation" says that they "will work cooperatively" which is news to me at least. And there appears to be an agreement to do so until the end of March at least which is also news to me. And I've been reading the posts on here and VOOM/Yahoo like crazy for the past couple of weeks.

One way or the other still watching HDTV in record heat in Seattle, Gill

Threads merged.

I would guess a decision to shut down at the end of the month would include 30 days notice as it did the last time.

The one thing the article didn't mention was it was persuant on financing so looks like he may have got that lined up, he's just trying to figure out how to transition it all. Which granted is a lot.

dlm10541 said:
I would guess a decision to shut down at the end of the month would include 30 days notice as it did the last time.
If the deal is not done by March 31st, I would say that there should be at least 2 weeks notice before it goes dark. They would put back the "death" message in the web site and officially notify customers by mail.

SeattleVoomer1 said:
Actually, I think this is very positive news since: "pursuant to which the parties will work cooperatively to finalize the separation from Cablevision of its Rainbow DBS operation" says that they "will work cooperatively" which is news to me at least. And there appears to be an agreement to do so until the end of March at least which is also news to me. And I've been reading the posts on here and VOOM/Yahoo like crazy for the past couple of weeks.

One way or the other still watching HDTV in record heat in Seattle, Gill

I think that verbage and may be the whole 'deal" is just an attempt to salvage Cablevisions credibility due to all of the nonprofessional behaviour lately.

Walter L. said:
If the deal is not done by March 31st, I would say that there should be at least 2 weeks notice before it goes dark. They would put back the "death" message in the web site and officially notify customers by mail.

so you think if theres no deal Dolan will want to flush more millions down the toilet to keep it running another 2 weeks? No way.

No panic button being pushed in my house! This is great news. The plan is underway. The New Voom will Live. Beautiful. Keep it up Mr. Dolan and Mr. Dolan. I'm with you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts