Cablevision OR Fios

nixie21

Original poster
May 17, 2005
Why one over the other? NJ, bergen county area

I do not need HD, no plan of getting HD tv for a LONG time, do have a nice ED plasma.

Need 1 DVR box

Fios, can get 10/2 internet and tv for 104 a month

Cablevision, can get internet 30/? and tv for 104 month for 1st year, then about the same after that but with 15/2 internet (specials and such for first year)

What do you think?

Thanks

Also,

Differences between the dvr boxes

I am used to tivo, what to expect. I read bad things about the fios dvr with the shows that start 10:02 and such....

As a former Cablevision video sub - I will say that the customer service, video quality, and box interface are horendous. The CV DVR software is terrible - think 1st generation dish network with 8 bit graphics.

The internet service will also get capped if you upload or download too much. I was uploading photos to kodak and got capped.

BTW fios is upgrading all the user interfaces -

http://www.verizonfios.com/img

Just do yourself a favor and ask the fios rep how much youll be paying after taxes....annnnndddd....your electric bill goes up about 10 dollars a month too bc fios uses the house electricity unlike cv, cv is the winner in my book, but fios is the future once it gets here...just keep an eye out for how cv will respond:)

If you enjoyed being bent-over the past 20+ years by the Cable Companies for an horrendously overpriced god-awful product...then by all means go with Cablevision. However, if you wish to get the most value, best service, and best quality for your money...then by all means sign up with Verizon FiOS!

There's a reason why more than 28 million customers have dumped their cable provider and subscribed to DirecTV and Dish Network. And there is gaining cable and satellite customers as quickly as they can deploy fiber-to-the-home.

Just do yourself a favor and ask the fios rep how much youll be paying after taxes....annnnndddd....your electric bill goes up about 10 dollars a month too bc fios uses the house electricity unlike cv, cv is the winner in my book, but fios is the future once it gets here...just keep an eye out for how cv will respond:)

Cableguy, we went through this a couple of month's ago - The $10/month electric bill increase due to the FIOS electric connection is BOGUS. The increase in your electric bill is between $1.50 and $2.00. I finally was able to switch to FIOS a little over a week ago - I live in an apartment building and only now is Verizon making a major effort to get them wired. I am paying about seven dollars a month less for comparable TV and internet service. Take off another two dollars for the increase in my electric bill - satisfied?

However, here is what I am getting extra for my "comparable" service:

1. MUCH better standard definition picture quality
2. MUCH better internet speed (20/5 with FIOS vs. 15/2 with cv - and the download speed doesn't deteriorate in the evening like cv)
3. Free premium channel VOD - unlike another $5/month per premium channel which cv charges.
4. Two HD DVR's not one

All of this for a few dollars less a month and no triple play discounts involved.

My main reason for switching , however, was FIOS's superior bandwith capability and the hope that they will be better positioned to quickly add many of the national HD channels coming this fall and early next year. I won't bore you with my traditional rant about how long it took CV to add the major networks HD feeds or Discovery HD LONG AFTER every other major cable company did.

Its been tested by CV technicians and electricians I know, and customers that have signed up say their electric bills have gone up significantly, dont know what else to tell ya?
On your list of extras-

1.The picture quality is better, but not significantly.
2.20/5 fios, 30/5 w/ cable, and yes cables signal does deteriorate with usage in the system, but so does fios, theyre saying that its a dedicated line, but if you read the back of your fios contract, it says the internet speed varies on usage in your neighborhood also, plus fios boxes update through the internet, so bandwidth is lost in the sauce there also. One more thing, fios subs have not seen a significant spike in bandwidth bc cv has a customer ratio of like 50-1.
3.You do pay for svods with fios, its incorporated in the price for premium channels, compare fios hbo@ $15.99 to cv's 11.95, cv just gives customers a choice to get svods or not.
4.You can get as many hd dvrs from cv as you want, if you get 2 hd dvrs from fios, its 13.99 each per month, and with cablevision its free for one year, then 16.00 each month after.

This is all just what Ive seen from my experience with cv and fios, and let it be known that it does vary, I have seen fios subs get a free dvr, while their neighbor pays. and vice versa. BTW---I believe fios is the better product and will get it once it comes to my area, I do believe they have more capability than cv, just dont believe everything you here, comparing promotions, cv wins hands down with taxes incorporated...comparing services, I see fios being the winner in the near future.

Its been tested by CV technicians and electricians I know, and customers that have signed up say their electric bills have gone up significantly, dont know what else to tell ya?
On your list of extras-

1.The picture quality is better, but not significantly.
2.20/5 fios, 30/5 w/ cable, and yes cables signal does deteriorate with usage in the system, but so does fios, theyre saying that its a dedicated line, but if you read the back of your fios contract, it says the internet speed varies on usage in your neighborhood also, plus fios boxes update through the internet, so bandwidth is lost in the sauce there also. One more thing, fios subs have not seen a significant spike in bandwidth bc cv has a customer ratio of like 50-1.
3.You do pay for svods with fios, its incorporated in the price for premium channels, compare fios hbo@ $15.99 to cv's 11.95, cv just gives customers a choice to get svods or not.
4.You can get as many hd dvrs from cv as you want, if you get 2 hd dvrs from fios, its 13.99 each per month, and with cablevision its free for one year, then 16.00 each month after.

This is all just what Ive seen from my experience with cv and fios, and let it be known that it does vary, I have seen fios subs get a free dvr, while their neighbor pays. and vice versa. BTW---I believe fios is the better product and will get it once it comes to my area, I do believe they have more capability than cv, just dont believe everything you here, comparing promotions, cv wins hands down with taxes incorporated...comparing services, I see fios being the winner in the near future.

Why the hell would I believe what a "Cablevision technician" says "testing" (really?) a FIOS installation - funny my install was done by Verizon technicians. Do a search on DSL reports of people who have FIOS and have actually tested electric usage. As for premium on demand built in to the FIOS price - get a life. I pay $13/month for their movie package which includes Showtime, The Movie Channel and Starz/Encore. SHO, TMC, and Starz are all included with free VOD. Cablevision would charge me an additional $15/month for that. I guess Verizon is giving me that package for free. Your points about bandwith capacity are also ludicous. You've got to be a Cablevision employee (same Bullsh!t I heard giving my boxes back at their service center) My condolences.

Bottom line Cableguy, until ten days ago I had Cablevision for over five years. I know exactly what I had and I know exactly what I've now got. No comparison. FIOS wins hands down.

The points about the electric usage is ludicrous. CV would require an amp in my house because the signal is so weak. Should I count that in my electric usage?

Fios does not require an amp because it uses an ONT and has a stronger signal distributing the signal throughout the house.

Two different technologies and comparing electric usage shows the desperation of CV

Get Fios, you'll be happy you did. You'll regret getting CV service. The Video quality is horrible, the Interactive Programming Guide is unbelievably slow and clunky, the Internet service is slow and bogs down when you need it most. The list goes on and on. And if you're thinking of getting the phone service through CV, definitely go with Fios.,,

Also if you get CV's phone service don't expect to keep your phone number if you swictch to another carrier. CV will keep the number (even if you ported it from a previous carrier).

CV will keep the number (even if you ported it from a previous carrier).

That is simply not true, I have seen it were for one reason or another a customer switches and they port thier number out to another provider. We do release number, espically when they come from another provider.

Get Fios, you'll be happy you did. You'll regret getting CV service. The Video quality is horrible, the Interactive Programming Guide is unbelievably slow and clunky, the Internet service is slow and bogs down when you need it most. The list goes on and on. And if you're thinking of getting the phone service through CV, definitely go with Fios.,,

This also is simply not true!
Obviously, a disgruntled viewer.

Face the music Nikko, you dont like what I have to say, dont read my posts, but I guarantee you I DONT Bullsh!t...just read the back of your f*^&ing contract about bandwidth, the tests were run after fios installation, and your right about starz, encore/showtime on-demand, cinemax and hbo is what I was referring too, --------this is someone admitting to being wrong, take a lesson 5 year old.....o0o0o0o get a life!

That is simply not true, I have seen it were for one reason or another a customer switches and they port thier number out to another provider. We do release number, espically when they come from another provider.

HBK I have two employees who cancelled the triple play and were unable to get CV to relinquish their telephone numbers.

Since CV's telephone service is classified as an information service - they are not bound by the same laws or rules phone companies are. As a result the phone portability laws do not apply.

HBK I have two employees who cancelled the triple play and were unable to get CV to relinquish their telephone numbers.

i dont know what happen with these particular cases, however if the customer cancelled the ov service first that could be what the issue is. If they want to take the number to another provider they need to keep the ov service and have the provider that they are porting the number to contact us to get the number and we release to them, if they cancelled the ov service first then the number would be lost. As I believe we have to give it back to the provider we ported from within 24-48hrs of the number being disconnect from our service if they do not port to another provider. At least this is my understanding.

Since CV's telephone service is classified as an information service - they are not bound by the same laws or rules phone companies are. As a result the phone portability laws do not apply.

I can state with finality that Cablevision does perform port outs of TNs.

If a customer decides to leave OV for any reason, whether ported or not, we will release the phone number to a new carrier.

The only instance where a customer can not keep their number after leaving CV, is if they disconnected with service before requesting that they port their number to a new carrier. It is the same as with any other phone carrier, you can not port a disconnected telephone number.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)