Cabling Dilema

garrettmiami06

Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Caribbean
Hi all,

Just a bit of back ground on my set up. I have 2 DishPro LNBF's, one points to the 119 satellite and the other to the 110 satellite which both connect to a DPP33 switch (mounted outside near my dish). I have one cable running from the DPP33 switch to my junction box where it connects to the cable ran to my room (room1). Thing is, the one cable ran from the switch to the junction box is ran underground and piped. I'm in the process installing a new receiver in another room and in hindsight, realized that I should have ran more than one cable from the switch to my junction box for future growth.

Question is......is it possible to split the one cable that runs to the junction box (from switch) in order to install a new receiver in another room????? The connection to room 2 is just hanging there and was wondering if a regular splitter would allow signal to reach rooms 1 and 2.

Thanks in Advance

Just to be clear, a DPP Separator will feed both tuners on one dual tuner receiver. A DPP Separator will not feed two receivers, no matter what type they are.

Exactly.
There is a way around it though that, if running that 2nd line is too difficult, and assuming that this underground line is RG6 3GHz, will allow to connect up to 4 tv's off of this single line. It would require upgrading to a Hopper/Joey system though.

Last edited:
How big is the buried pipe.

You may be able to use the current cable to pull two new cables through the conduit.

It is good practice to pull a nylon cord through with any conduit pull, so you may be able to add more capability later if necessary.

You may be able to use the current cable to pull two new cables through the conduit.
It is good practice to pull a nylon cord through with any conduit pull, so you may be able to add more capability later if necessary.
That is exactly what I would do if at all possible. Would go one step further and pull three cables through if possible.
Test the current cable to see if it is loose in the pipe by pulling a bit at both ends to see if the other end moves freely. (may take two people or mark with a magic marker.)

I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and dig up the original cabling or use the existing cable as pull string as jim5506 suggested.....uhhhhh. It's a 1 inch conduit, so I think I can manage to pull atleast 2 through at the same time.

It is always best to treat cabling as a one-to-one situation even if you can gain economies otherwise as new technologies may take away some of the old ones.

As useful as diplexing and the like are, it is getting harder to do such things and maintain compatibility. It isn't a big problem on the DISH side yet, but as those with DIRECTV have found out, it will strike when you're least expecting it and render old techniques difficult or impossible to use.

Also, as our DIRECTV bretheren have discovered, having something designated for a purpose doesn't mean it can be effectively used for that purpose in the end (I'm thinking of the Off-Air input on the SWM8 standalone switches).

Hope you used 45* elbows or electrical sweeps in the original installation. They do make a lube for pulling cables dish detergent can be used if no other lube.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)