calibration forum

We do not have a forum dedicated to HDTV calibrations; but if you google your tv set and callibration you will probably find some callibration #s, either on this site or at AVS.

What tv do you have, and what is the callibration question you have?

We do not have a forum dedicated to HDTV calibrations; but if you google your tv set and callibration you will probably find some callibration #s, either on this site or at AVS.

What tv do you have, and what is the callibration question you have?

have 2 sets sony dlp 50 bravia and akai 42 plasma

just want to make sure i have the best calibration for these sets. the qeek squad
at best buy charge 300 bucks.. I do have one question why is it when am watching
a hdtv channel mainly local channels, the picture does not fit the entire screen,
i have to press zoom or wide zoom, but pic does not look that great, and with
zoom you lose part of the head image of a person. my sony is 1080p, and Akai
is 720 and 1080

Just because you are watching "a HD channel" does not mean the programming is actually HD or 16x9 aspect ratio. This no more true than with local affiliates. On non-hd programming most simply send the actual 4x3 aspect ratio of the show along with pillar boxing (the bar on the left and right side) filling the entire 16x9 screen. This is normal.

Also, some wide screen programming is not at the 16x9 aspect ratios of most TV display and thusly will letter box (the bars at the top and bottom) this is also normal.

Some actually window box. ARGH

...and worse yet; cropping and pan & scan

A few good reads:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/aspectratios/widescreenorama.html

http://www.widescreen.org/aspect_ratios.shtml

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5140690-3.html

Just got my Sammy calibrated by Jeff Meier from Accu Cal. He did an awesome job.

Stay away from Best Buy on this. Go with Gregg or Jeff. They are the best in the business. They both do tours around the country.

hi guys

Feel free to ask your questions here in the TV area at Sat. Guys. Ive been surfing this fine site for years and would happily answer any intelligent / thoughtful questions asked.

Problems with Best Buy ISF calibrations:
1. you dont know who your getting, or how much experience they have
2. you dont know what type of gear they are using, its accuracy or lack of, etc etc.
So generally speaking...YMMV.

Gregg

Feel free to ask your questions here in the TV area at Sat. Guys. Ive been surfing this fine site for years and would happily answer any intelligent / thoughtful questions asked.

Problems with Best Buy ISF calibrations:
1. you dont know who your getting, or how much experience they have
2. you dont know what type of gear they are using, its accuracy or lack of, etc etc.
So generally speaking...YMMV.

Gregg

Ive already read about one Panny 8 series plasma goofed on AVS by Best Buy, Id recommend against them

Gregg. Im having a helluva time finding a calibrator in my area to give my money too ;), any ideas? Do you service my area?

Ive contacted Chad Billheimer, but he's very busy and slow to reply.

Panasonic 85u 50" 1080p

Thanks.

FYI, I just setup an appointment(very easily) with Gregg, looking forward to it.

From some reason, every calibrator I found in my area on the ISF site was either too busy to reply to my emails/voice mails or would only calibrate the tv if I bought it from them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts