Caller ID came in handy

dendavis

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 10, 2003
Metro Denver
I know the big kids on this board will likely scoff at something as simplistic as this, but if this helps just one person.......:)

We needed a phone number from a doctor's office call earlier in the day. While our telephone has "last number received" display, the number we needed, of course, was earlier than that. I remembered the Caller ID function on DISH, so I used the Menu button on my 622, went to the System submenu, and got the Caller ID History, and the number.

So, maybe not an end-of-the-world broadcasting or equipment performance issue, but I thought it was worth sharing.

My wife uses the Caller ID log as a phone book - she goes through once a week and deletes the numbers she doesn't want in there!

It's a badly missed feature now that we're back with cable. The 622 made it easy to decide whether or not to answer the phone without moving from the warm spot on the sofa...
i agree this is a major advantage of satellite over cable in my mind, get with the times cable include on screen caller id display on all futurecable boxes

You have your caller ID with you by the couch or recliner all the time while watching TV?

No, not always, but that's not my point. A lot of people are posting that they go back in the history to look up numbers when those same numbers are most likely stored in your phone. Do you always want to turn on your TV, navigate through the menu system and finally find the call history when you want to call someone back? You're obviously about to call someone back, so shouldn't you have the phone with you anyway? you can't make a phone call with your TV.

Hey, I'm not denying that it isn't a handy feature. I use it all the time at the time of the incoming phone call, but I never go into the call history.

Dish should add a software modification to work with the Caller-ID.

When a call is detected and displayed on the screen, you get one of those "select" buttons, and when you press "select" on the remote it answers the phone with a recording,
"The party you have called is watching Dish Network satellite TV and does not want to listen to you.":D

Or maybe multiple "select" buttons so you can select the greeting.
Mom, I'll call you back.
:D :D

You guys don't have caller ID built into your phones?

Yea but it doesn't store phone numbers like my 721, I needed the phone # of the guy I bought firewood from last year & started going back & back & back & after many pages of #'s there it was.

I don't know how far back it goes but I can tell you It holds at least a year of incoming calls

We didn't have Caller ID for years, so most of the phones in the house don't have it. The answering machine does, but it's in the kitchen.

I like that the ViP211 has CID history so even if the TV is off when the phone rings, I can go back and get the number. The 811 had no memory, so if it wasn't on, you lost that call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts