caller ID

Status
Please reply by conversation.

grandma

Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Mts NC
Hooked up new receiver from Directv today. Now my called ID will not display on TV. DirectV is no help in fixing this. What can I do to fix this peoblem

Hooked up new receiver from Directv today. Now my called ID will not display on TV. DirectV is no help in fixing this. What can I do to fix this peoblem

I assume it works fine when connected to your phone. You have to subscribe to the caller id service from your phone provider. What model receiver do you have? Have you tried resetting the receiver? It's best to do it through the menu.

Hey Grandma, welcome.
If your internet comes through the phone company(dsl) make sure you use a filter on the receiver you want caller id on.
Please give us as many details as possible, so we can help you resolve this minor technicality.

The filter(s) should have came with your dsl modem. They are supposed to be plugged in where ever you have a phone or other device such as a satellite receiver. Picture below is what a filter looks like.

Attachments

• DSL-FIL-LAF0016.jpg
    DSL-FIL-LAF0016.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 143
never had a problem with the caller ID before. Just with this new receiver.

I understand. I have had customers with dish who had no problems then switched to direct and could not get caller id without the filter. This is the simplest thing to try 1st.

It sounds like your modem is built into your router, that is pretty common.
The best place to get a filter is through the phone co. If you have a local office that would be your best bet. If not just give them a call and have them send you 1. Don't let them try to charge you for it, if they do remind them of the other competition who would love to have your business.

Is there a certain filter I need to ask for. Tell what does the filter do? I have been using directv for six years and have had a filter before.

Is there a certain filter I need to ask for. Tell what does the filter do? I have been using directv for six years and have had a filter before.

It filters out the data(internet) noise on a voice line. No special kind other than a dsl filter.
It is possible you could be on a splitter and not require a filter. If you have a security system it is very possible you are on a splitter which does not require a filter.
Have you checked in the menu on the directv receiver to make sure the caller id is turned on? You should have a manual telling you how to turn caller id on & off.

Not sure what a D11 reciever is, but I've had an HR23 for a year and a half and the Caller ID has been intermittent since the day it was installed.

Regards, Eric

A d11 is an older model standard deffinition receiver, no dvr, and to get the caller id to work, theoritically, all you should half to do is plug the 'dsl filter' pictured in above post, by the way you can pick these up in radioshack or walmart as well, they ranged 10-20 dollars, plug this filter into your wall jack, then run the phone line from the filter into the phone port on your receiver. Verify that Caller ID notifications are indeed enabled in the receiver setup. (on the remote, hit menu, then setup, then caller id, if it says turn notifications ON,then select that, if it says turn notifications OFF then do nothing, and hit exit. After this is done, reset the receiver by pressing the red button behind the trap door on the lower right of the receiver. Make a test call. You should be done. sorry for long post, I tried to be threro

A d11 is an older model standard deffinition receiver, no dvr, and to get the caller id to work, theoritically, all you should half to do is plug the 'dsl filter' pictured in above post, by the way you can pick these up in radioshack or walmart as well, they ranged 10-20 dollars, plug this filter into your wall jack, then run the phone line from the filter into the phone port on your receiver. Verify that Caller ID notifications are indeed enabled in the receiver setup. (on the remote, hit menu, then setup, then caller id, if it says turn notifications ON,then select that, if it says turn notifications OFF then do nothing, and hit exit. After this is done, reset the receiver by pressing the red button behind the trap door on the lower right of the receiver. Make a test call. You should be done. sorry for long post, I tried to be threro

Just a quick addition to this post: when you reset the receiver, you are better off doing it through the menu instead of using the red button.

I could also be that grandma's new(most likely refurb) receiver from DIRECTV has a bad phone jack.

Like someone else said - Do a system test with the phone line connected and see if it passes the phone test.

You can also pick up extra filters at just about any place that sells phones, Best Buy, Walmart where ever, if you don't want to wait for them to send one.

Also, make sure that your Caller Id is turned ON in the menu's for the recvr.

Fwiw, My CID has been intermittent at best for the last several years.
Some weeks it works great, others not at all.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)