Camera in USB...used to work but not now.

VegasVoomer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
Las Vegas
I tried searching for this but found nothing. I havnt used the multimedia area of the 622 for several months but it worked fine. It recognized my camera and uploaded the pics no problem. I tried it this morning and with 2 different cameras and 2 different usb cables I keep getting the message "There is no multimedia device connected to the USB port." I know I have to call and activate the external HDD option but does this now go for a digital camera as well or is this a SW glitch? Any help appreciated.
BTW, sorry this ended up in the wrong area. I thought I was in the Technical forum.

Haven't heard this before..... They could certainly have (mistakenly) changed something to cause this but I do *not* think it has anything to do with the external storage option.

I lost my cable a long time ago so I can't try it. Do you have a USB-card-reader ? Does it work ?

Symptom
Attention 860

Cause
The multimedia device is not connected to the receiver, powered on or a supported size between 40 and 750GB.

1. Verify the USB cable is connected.
  2. Exit the menu then reenter.
  3. Perform Front Panel Reset. Afterwards the receiver will attempt to acquire the guide information.
    When troubleshooting missing channels, allow the EPG to download and do not cancel.
    1. Press and hold the Power button on the front panel of the receiver for five seconds.
    2. Wait for the receiver to reset and power on by itself.
    3. Verify fixed, if not, continue. If this step was previously performed move to the next step.
      Note: this will initiate reinitialization of the Hard Drive on a 721, this takes approximately 5 minutes
    4. Place the receiver in standby mode by turning the receiver off from the front panel power button.
    5. Remove electrical power from the receiver by unplugging the receiver from the AC electrical outlet.
    6. Wait 15 seconds.
    7. Plug the receiver back into the AC electrical outlet and power on.

It must be trying to read the camera as an external hard drive. Sounds like something could have been fudged when they enabled that feature.

Well, Dish screwed up there.... Card readers, USB thumbdrives, and so on will no longer work now then. I'm going to try my thumbdrive....

I found this.
Symptom
Attention 860

Cause
The multimedia device is not connected to the receiver, powered on or a supported size between 40 and 750GB.

Prevention
Connect and power on a multimedia device of a supported size.

Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting is not necessary.

1. Verify the hard drive is plugged in and powered on.

2. Verify the USB cable is connected.

3. Exit the menu then reenter.

Sounds like if its under 4GB it wont read. My SD card is 2GB. This is definately a SW screw up. I have pictures already stored on there from 6 months ago when it worked fine.

It says 40 gb and thats in regards to external hard drives my rcvr works just fine with camera and thumb drive so did three at work!

Sent an email to Tech Support about this problem and got this back from them.

"Thank you for your email. Our engineering department is aware of this issue. It has been determined the issue is software related and we are actively working on a resolution. To further assist in a speedy resolution, please reply with the information requested below. This information will go directly to our engineering department. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and appreciate your assistance."

Sent an email to Tech Support about this problem and got this back from them.

"Thank you for your email. Our engineering department is aware of this issue. It has been determined the issue is software related and we are actively working on a resolution."
LOTS of us have gotten that same reply !! :D

I tried plugging my cam into the 625 the other day and got a menu, but it said that sorta thing wasn't supported!

VegasVoomer, did you try it the original way you used to? I mean, go to menu then press go to Multimedia and then go to photos? I'm wondering if instead you hit DVR and went to USB device, which DISH assumes is only the hard drive. Or try going to your photos first and viewing what you currently have connected and continue from there.

VegasVoomer, did you try it the original way you used to? I mean, go to menu then press go to Multimedia and then go to photos? I'm wondering if instead you hit DVR and went to USB device, which DISH assumes is only the hard drive. Or try going to your photos first and viewing what you currently have connected and continue from there.

I always went through the menu/multimedia area before and did the same exact same thing now and no go. I can still view photos that are on there. Just cant connect to the camera to add more. I know it wasn't an automated reply email cause they asked which 2 cameras I tried and want me to give them receiver info.

With some cameras, you have a choice of their USB port presenting itself as a mass storage device or presenting itself as a camera. Are you sure yours is still set to the correct setting, if this applies?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)