129 Options

DSpud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Laredo, TX
I have had three different techs out to my house and no one seems to be able to adjust my 1000+ correctly. Either the signal on the 118 is uncommonly low 18-20 range, or the 129 is uncommonly low 20-30. I am wanting to just peak the 1000+ for the 110,118, and 119 and use a wing dish to pick up the 129 (going with the 129 over the 61.5 to pick up my RSN) Before I go out and buy the equipment I wanted to make sure, I can simply use a Dish 300 and point it at 129 directly and disconnect the 129 cable on the switch, and replace it with my wing dish cabling, correct?

With the Dish 1000+ they must have installed a DPP-44 Switch, so yes you can use a wing dish and connect it to the same port on the DPP-44 as the current 129 input.

The Dish 300 is a 18" dish.
The Dish 500 is about 22" dish. Get an I-Bracket and a DP Dual LNBF to make it a Dish 300 dish.
Or you might be able to get the 24" dish they are using in the NW.

Just remember to use a DishPro LNBF (either single feed or dual feed.)

However, if it's working and only the signal-meter is low, please remember that Dish has sent out new software awhile back that re-calibrates the signal meters causing them to read lower than before.:D

Also, what part of the country are you in? I'm sure someone may have a better suggestion.

I live in the Midwest, just north of st. louis. I know there is better options than putting up a wing dish. But to be perfectly honest I am just tired of having tech after tech come out and attempt to peak the signal. Actually, they have only been here twice, but the first time, during the install, they had two boys I know weren't older than 20, (really, I know them) come out for the install, and it took them over an hour to even get the 129 to get any signal, as soon as they found it, they were gone. And I called and complained, they sent out another guy who drove up with his wife and had the same problem. no one had signal meters. Both of them had to rely on turning my tv sound up to the max, watching the signal meter through the window while standing in my front yard, and yelling to the other one on the OTHER side of the roof. No hand held radios or anything. Truly embarrasing for Dish and Ketterman Communications, I would think. I can understand the first time I guess, but if a customer is having problem with signal, you would think they would send someone out with at least tools that help find signal better than the old "watching the reciever signal meter and yelling to the other installer 100 yards away while twisting the dish back and forth on the roof" trick.

Anyway, I am sick of it. I have never had a halfway decent installer. I know I can peak a dish pointed at a single bird. I have had some trouble with dishes pointed at three or more and would rather just spend the money on a dedicated dish at 129 than go up there and try to tweak my dish and attempt to pick up all the birds. I am confident if I tweak the dish at 118 my 110 and 119 will have no problem coming in as both installers that have been out here have had problems bringing in the 129 without losing considerable signal from the 118.

Any installers in the Kampsville, IL area that want to try to tweak my existing setup correctly so I don't lose channels every time the wind blows or it rains shoot me a message. If you give me a decent price and you garantee your work I would be willing to forget the whole wing dish idea. I JUST WANT UNINTERUPTED TELEVISION! IS THAT TO MUCH TO ASK!!??

Best way is to add a wing dish.

Your best bet is to add a wing dish for 129 sat. You'll get more signal with a dedicated dish like a 32" Fortec Star parabola using the DP dual lnb attached to it. Trust me, using only 1 dish for multiple satellites is indeed a compromise of signal quality. :eureka: :up

Trust me, using only 1 dish for multiple satellites is indeed a compromise of signal quality. :eureka: :up

You have some gain figures you want to share with us?

To the OP, I have found that often, the problem in your case is that the skew is not correct. The reason for that is the mast typically isn't plumb. If your skew calls for 107 (example) but the mast is 3 degrees off-plumb, you could have your dish set at 110 or 104 skew despite the correct reading on the back of the dish. Unfortunately, too many installers that are paid basic service call rates don't want to hassle with taking the dish off its mount, checking the mast plumb, fixing it if it's wrong, and then putting it all back together and aligning it. It's a sad fact of life and you end up suffering because of the provider's tight wallet.

My suggestion is to get out your yellow pages and under the heading SATELLITE, find a local retailer and hire them on an hourly basis or a rate conditional upon specific results. You might even want to try and find a retailer who advertises C-Band setups or 4DTV since they typically have decades of experience. Let him know that the mast might not be plumb. You might even take the dish down and see if the mast is plumb and fix it yourself if it isn't. You can then sub out the re-alignment. Just make sure you use at least 6 grade 5 lag-bolts that are 2.5" or longer (3" is better). Also, make sure your mounting surface is pretty solid and that the dish mount barely moves if at all.

Thanks for the help everyone, first day I have available I am going to try checking the skew and mast. If i can't do that I will either contact a local retailer or attempt the wing dish.

I JUST WANT UNINTERUPTED TELEVISION! IS THAT TO MUCH TO ASK!!??
Same issues I had. I fixed it by buying my own digital meter and then I don't bother to call and just aim it myself. Found a better signal than I've ever gotten from a Tech. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're referring to the 129...YES !!!!

Actually with a good point 129 should work just fine for him. I'm in South Bend, IN with a 1K2 dish and receive 129 with great consistent signal strength just less than that of 110.

Like others have said, make sure your mount is absolutely plumb. This makes all the difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts