Camp Site Set-Up

chandler583

Original poster
Nov 10, 2015
Houston
Hello,

I've been a dish subscriber for years, and recently acquired a travel trailer for a location that is within the same county (about 15 miles different) than my main residence. I would like to have a semi permanent dish setup at this location for when I spend the night there rather than at my home.

I've read the messages about the Dish Receiver Audit team and what not, but I'm not trying to use the service at the same time in two different locations. It would be either at my home or at the camp site. Can I purchase an additional receiver for the travel trailer that is semi-permanently parked there and move the access card back and forth, or will I have to move the receiver as well? Keep in mind these locations are relatively close together, so calling and changing locals isn't an issue as the two locations are within the same county.

You should be fine with a 211 family receiver. If owned, and you are turning it on and off, they are going to recognize it is for campsite, cabin, etc and is not account stacking. This is approved method.

Would I have to pay a "Dish Pause" fee? That can kind of add up if it's like once or twice a week. Would moving the receiver be just as ok?

If owned, when not there, you just call up dish and say to deactivate that receiver. No pause, no charge while off.

You wouldn't can't change access cards so don't worry about that. I would say you are not doing anything wrong. The cost for the extra receiver on the account if a 211 as an example would be $7 a month, a VIP 612 would be $10 a month. If you do not own it, if you wanted to stop service for a while the receiver would have to be returned to DISH.
But buy a receiver, and you can call to turn off service to that receiver for the months you are not using it and save the monthly fee. When turned off it does not matter if you leave it at the site. Honestly, even when active you probably could just leave it there but taking back to your home would be "more" in keeping with DISH policies. With their acceptance of having a tailgate receiver I think the need to take the receiver back to your house has become less important.

Reactions: ChadT41
The absolute "simplest" thing would be to haul the receiver back and forth. I have the same basic situation as you and did that for a while. I ended up buying a 211k and leaving it at the camp. It does cost an extra $7 a month, but I got tired of carrying the other receiver back and forth. If you do decide to get another receiver and you leave it at your camp, make sure that it stays powered up or it may lose its authorization.

The absolute "simplest" thing would be to haul the receiver back and forth. I have the same basic situation as you and did that for a while. I ended up buying a 211k and leaving it at the camp. It does cost an extra $7 a month, but I got tired of carrying the other receiver back and forth. If you do decide to get another receiver and you leave it at your camp, make sure that it stays powered up or it may lose its authorization.
The authorization is simple. Just call in and ask for a hit. Fixed in 2 minutes. As far as leaving it activated year round, would be smarter to only have it activated while there. Pay the prorated amount for just the time used.

I understand how to get it reauthorized, but when you are in an area with very limited cell coverage, it is a PITA. So is activating and deactivating. My camp is actually a houseboat and I am there probably 40 weekends out of the year.

Reactions: rvvaquero
That is opposite my experience. People don't want to pay for what they are not using.

And, your experience is as a DISH CSR in answering phone calls from people who do exactly what you are saying. However, your experience does not include the thousands of customers out there who just leave the receiver active because it is more convenient and simpler and only cost $7 per month. Why? Because those customers don't call you at DISH.

I would wager that for every DISH customer who calls customer service to make changes on their plan, there are tens of thousands of customers who just pay their bill every month and never call customer service.

And, your experience is as a DISH CSR in answering phone calls from people who do exactly what you are saying. However, your experience does not include the thousands of customers out there who just leave the receiver active because it is more convenient and simpler and only cost $7 per month. Why? Because those customers don't call you at DISH.

I would wager that for every DISH customer who calls customer service to make changes on their plan, there are tens of thousands of customers who just pay their bill every month and never call customer service.
I still disagree. Being in the RV department and in the advanced tech, and running a CS team that also handled those calls I would say your numbers are false. People really do not want to pay for something they are not using. I have a little basis and experience on this, where as you are making your guess off no facts and a hunch...

Would you call in every other weekend to change the activation status?
Yes I would. The same way people call in regularly for credits or to not pay something. There are those that don't care about the $7, but in a time where people already think tv costs to much, they will save where they can, when they know they can.

There are those that don't care about the $7, but in a time where people already think tv costs to much, they will save where they can, when they know they can.
If it were $7 that they could be saving, perhaps, but it seems like calling in in twice a day every other Saturday or Sunday is a pretty stiff price to save $6.30. Even less if you follow your team(s) on the road and have to call more often.

$6.30x12=$75.60 per year. I'm sure the average person would love to save an almost months worth bill each year, that is doing this. Don't even have to call in. Can shoot a message before leaving and handle it when home.

$6.30x12=$75.60 per year.
Tailgating doesn't typically happen 12 months out of the year. It happens for three so the net savings might be less than $17 after having to tilt at DISH customer service for what will likely net to more than an hour. Few value their time that little.

When it is 40 weekends out of the year, you'll be on the phone for hours (assuming you make activating and deactivating part of your weekly routine and that DISH continues to require a phone call to activate and deactivate).

The longer you are away, the more savings it is on that receiver by turning it off. If you only use it 2 months a year, I agree that it is pointless to activate and deactivate. If 40 weekends, there is a definite savings benefit. And all that time? Seriously takes under two minutes and can be down through DIRT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)