Camping and Wildlife Crazy Stories

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

TenaGoble

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I've made a couple of posts over the past month or so about "wild turkey breaks taxi windshield":confused:, the just recent "exploding outdoor toilets":eek: and a few recipies.:)

I've got over 25 years experience in the camping biz, plus some of my friends and family hunt, plus I worked with various youth groups and I've got some more crazy tales to tell about camping and wildlife, so...

HAVE YA GOT ANY CRAZY STORY OUT THERE TO SHARE, EH?:eureka

(Oh and Keep it Clean):D (Drunk Bears and Wild Turkey Gangs Allowed):eek:

OK, I might as well get this thing started.

A former child actor, (who is now deceased), "razzed" and teased me over this incident, (he slipped in a Wild Turkey Whiskey joke), that involved myself, my mother and a "gang" of Wild Turkeys, when I was a Junior in high school.

I was walking with my mother to our driveway to catch the school bus, which was over a hill past our trailers at our camp when we saw about a dozen Wild Turkeys in our driveway. My mum told me to stay behind, she was going "shoo" them off. Bad decision my mum made, (she thought it would work the same with Wild Turkeys as it would chickens), there were vehicles going back and forth on the 2 lane, nothing would make those birds move.

When the bus came to pick me up, the driver saw what was going on, honked the horn, turkeys would not move, opens the door and yells "I'll tell the principal" and closed the bus door quickly, because a couple of them tried to get on the bus. Well, my dad saw what was going on and since the lease deal the camp had with the authorities was "No Hunting" on the premises, including possible or attempted animal attacks, he couldn't use his hunting guns to scare off the turkeys, so we had to call fish & wildlife.

Now, this was a little after 7AM in the morning, Dad had an appointment, Mom thought it would be wise to get a tetnus shot after getting pecked by one of the turkeys, I couldn't get to school, the guard dogs were chained up could smell the birds and were going crazy, plus the fish & wildlife office didn't open until 9 AM.

Finally, a little after nine, we got a hold of fish and wildlife. But at that time they couldn't get to us, because at one of the other high schools in the county, a bear had been spotted getting into the trash bins, by this time, there were four maybe five still in the driveway.

At about 10:30-11 AM, the story had apparently reached the board of education office, (my dad used to work for them), the guy that handled the truancies, (who was also married to my dentist at the time), called my place and asked my father if it was true why I couldn't get to school that day. My dad confirmed the story told him to call fish & wildlife that we still had a few of them in our driveway, if he didn't belive us.

Within 30 minutes that call there were only 3 in the driveway when the fish & wildlife people came to catch the turkeys. I wasn't alowed to see how they caught the turkeys, (my dad said, no need to look, this is a man's job), they had to re-route the traffic on the 2 lane, (I could see that from my bedroom window) and the turkeys were caught.

The next day when I got to school, the principal asked me the following- "Why didn't you or your dad shoot at the turkeys?", "Did you use horns to spook them off?", "If I had been there with my guns, the missus would have meat in the deep freeze."

It got crazier when I went to the teacher's lounge to get lesson assignments from the day before. About 20 teachers were in there, (apparently they saw me on the security cam coming from the principal's office), when I opened the door I heard in unison "gobble, gobble, gobble". I looked at them and said "Ha, ha, very funny, you had your laugh." Some of the male teachers asked me the same thing the principal asked, one of them knew that I was pretty good with a bow and arrow and asked me if I was tempted to get it out and aim at the turkeys. My response, "Don't want to be sent to Juvie because I killed a wild bird."

If this incident had not happened, I would have had perfect attendance my Junior year!

But you were the one who mentioned exploding toilets.:rolleyes::D

Read the poll/post: Do you camp or RV?

Look for my post. The bizzare scientific explaination is there. Plus, that's why some people will sneak up on animals that "poop" a lot and get injured in the process of getting kicked, usually on a "dare" when they are usually under the influence of alcohol. Methane gas catches fire when lit.

In other words, KIDS, DON'T TRY THIS DOWN AT THE FARM! OR AT HOME!

Ok, people, I have another wild turkey story, beats my high school incident that happened about 20 years ago. !sadroll

Was listening to CNN today, turns out Harvard University has a wild turkey problem.

To be more specific, at the Harvard School of Business, there has been a wild turkey "stalking" the students outside. :eek:

Somebody even started an online petition to have the turkey "removed" from campus. :rolleyes:

Wish I had the Internet 20 years ago to solve my problem then :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)