Can 222K be upgraded to dvr?

darekd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Roanoke, VA
I know that 211 can be upgraded to dvr but can the same be done to 222. If not, is there a plan to do it anytime soon?

I do believe that Dish did say that the plan is for the 222K to function as a DVR. When that is, I don't know.

This would be an extremely cool feature, but it seems like a bad idea from Dish's perspective. By enabling hd support, you are basically turning this machine into a 722k. You pay the 40 bucks or whatever, can record 4 things at once, and you never have to pay a DVR fee, which makes Dish an unhappy panda... But since they already did it with the 211 and they said they were going to, maybe they will. It just seems like they aren't in any hurry to push this update out the door.

I decided to go with 211K since I need recording functionality now. My kids would kill me if I would replace their directv dvr with just a receiver.

This would be an extremely cool feature, but it seems like a bad idea from Dish's perspective. By enabling hd support, you are basically turning this machine into a 722k. You pay the 40 bucks or whatever, can record 4 things at once, and you never have to pay a DVR fee, which makes Dish an unhappy panda... But since they already did it with the 211 and they said they were going to, maybe they will. It just seems like they aren't in any hurry to push this update out the door.

Actually, Dish would be a very happy panda with the customer incurring all costs of the failing HDD. Dish spends tons of $$$$ operating facilities that handle RMA'd boxes, and the DVR boxes with the failing HDD's are the most expensive for Dish. Considering the lack of a DVR fee for those STB with enabled external HDD recording, it is reasonable to conclude that the DVR Fee is, at least in part, to offset the cost of replacing those failing internal HDD's. All HDD's will fail, and it is cheaper for Dish if it is the customer's problem.

My concern is how the Duo units with external HDD recording will function (limitations and speed) considering they will use USB 2.0. eSATA would have been a better choice to allow for very high bandwidth to allow an experience just like an internal HDD. I suppose we will have to wait and see.

Actually, Dish would be a very happy panda with the customer incurring all costs of the failing HDD. Dish spends tons of $$$$ operating facilities that handle RMA'd boxes, and the DVR boxes with the failing HDD's are the most expensive for Dish. Considering the lack of a DVR fee for those STB with enabled external HDD recording, it is reasonable to conclude that the DVR Fee is, at least in part, to offset the cost of replacing those failing internal HDD's. All HDD's will fail, and it is cheaper for Dish if it is the customer's problem.

My concern is how the Duo units with external HDD recording will function (limitations and speed) considering they will use USB 2.0. eSATA would have been a better choice to allow for very high bandwidth to allow an experience just like an internal HDD. I suppose we will have to wait and see.

The current 622/722 boxes use USB 2.0 and work out just fine as do the 21's...so not sure why the experience would be any different on the 222 if and when they implement it.

The current 622/722 boxes use USB 2.0 and work out just fine as do the 21's...so not sure why the experience would be any different on the 222 if and when they implement it.

I meant when Dish implements the software to turn 2 tuner boxes (222, 222K) into functioning DVR's. Sorry I didn't make that clear before.

Some 211 users have seen some pixelization with 3 HD streams going (record sat, record OTA, playback). The 222k, if it is to be like a 722k, would have a potential 6 streams at once over USB. The 622/722 can also handle 6 streams (record 3, play 2, archive 1), but those are all on the internal drive with only the EHD transfer also going over USB.

Adding EHD to a 222 essentially makes it a 622/722.

I have doubts that dish will ever go that far, it might degrade the intrinsic value of dual tuner DVRs.

If I didn't already have a 622, I might be tempted to have 2 211's in its place - no DVR fees and can swap drives among receivers.

Has this software update been released yet? I'm upgrading an old receiver and the CSR says that you can pay a fee and add the EHD, but my quick search of the forums hasn't found a confirmation of this. So far, I've only been able to find people asking if this has been implemented.

Yeah, I stand by the fact that they probably make more from DVR fees than they lose from bad hard drives. They promised this DVR capability a while ago, but it just doesn't seem like it will happen.

The installer came in today with a 222K. No OTA module like I had ordered, so I got on chat after he left to make sure it was being shipped to me like the installer advised. The Tech CSR I talked too confirmed that the two reps I talked to yesterday were mistaken. He offered to have the 222K swapped for two 211Ks (for an additional $50), but that would be an extra $7 per month for the third receiver to save me on one DVR fee of $5.98. It just didn't make enough sense to pull the trigger on that.

Oh well, no recording on the other TVs. Maybe by my next Dish It Up order, it'll be a DVR fee per account instead of per device.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)