Can 622 use ext hard drive for backup?

mrhoni

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
I have a 622 that is just about full. Can I use an external drive to backup and not move the content so that all the shows stay on the 622?

If I were you, I would just scroll up to the top of the page that seems to have the heading of "Official External Storage Information". My guess is the answer is there.

The recorded programming can only exist in ONE location at any given time. You can EITHER have it on the 622 OR you can have it on an external hard drive, but you can NOT have it on both.

Therefore... the short answer to your question is: "no"

If you don't move them off the 622 how does it help you? Am i missing something?

I wanted to backup the built in drive so that if it were to fail I have all my PPV movies (30+) not lost. If I just move movies to the external hard drive, then if it fails the movies are lost.

I could have a drive to move some movies to make more room on the internal drive but I still wanted to back them up.

Last edited:
If you move them to the ext HDD and the 622 fails, just plug it into the replacement and they will still be there.

Yeah i don't quite understand under what circumstances the "backup" helps you wherea copy does not. But again maybe I am missing something.

I'm hoping that in the future I can hook up an external RAID system that will make sure the contents are not lost due to a disk drive failure.

I am assuming that I cannot do that now. Or can I?

Didn't they say that you couldn't move PPV movies to the external drive?

the Rented VoD content you can't move, since those are time-limited. I believe the PPV stuff WILL move.

I need to acquire a HDD this weekend and try it (one of my 622's has a boatload of movies that need to be archived off).

LER

I wanted to backup the built in drive so that if it were to fail I have all my PPV movies (30+) not lost. If I just move movies to the external hard drive, then if it fails the movies are lost.

I could have a drive to move some movies to make more room on the internal drive but I still wanted to back them up.

I have had no luck archiving my PPV movies. PPV movies are likely locked to the 622's HDD.

I moved a bunch of stuff over night. Fortuately for me, BB was out of 500GB MyBooks, so I ended up getting the 750GB model. It was $80 more than the 500Gb, so I asked myself "would I pay $80 for a 250GB drive?" Answer was yes.

Geeze I have a ton of room now. I barely put a dent in the MyBook and now my 622 is pretty much freed up.

To restate,

I wanted to do a backup so that there is an additional copy of the movies. Just like you would do on your computer you backup your data. If either the internal or external drive has a problem you can get them back.

Whether I keep a movie on the internal or external drive, if that drive fails - bye bye movie.

It seems that for now, I really only have to choice to keep the content in one place, but I only asked the question in case it was possible.

To restate,

I wanted to do a backup so that there is an additional copy of the movies. Just like you would do on your computer you backup your data. If either the internal or external drive has a problem you can get them back.

Whether I keep a movie on the internal or external drive, if that drive fails - bye bye movie.

It seems that for now, I really only have to choice to keep the content in one place, but I only asked the question in case it was possible.

Since the DRM agreements require only moves and not copies to be supported, they suggested the following strategy. Make more than one recording of the program. Sure its too late for your existing content. But from this point on, when something that you want to keep is on HBO, record it twice. Either at a later airing, or by using your duel tuners.

You can them move the duplicate recording to your ext drive.

It gives you more room in the internal HDD plus if the 622 craters, you can restore them to your new box and save your recordings that way.

BTY you can move a program to external then re-record it and have it both places.

To restate,

The only way to have two copies of everything is:

1) PPV - Move original to archive, pay to see movie again and record to 622
2) Everything else - move to archive, record to 622 again.

The only device I know of that you can hook to a 622 and make COPIES is the PocketDish and that only works with SD content, not HD.

The only way to have two copies of everything is:

1) PPV - Move original to archive, pay to see movie again and record to 622
2) Everything else - move to archive, record to 622 again.

I have not been able to move my only PPV movie onto the external HDD. Are you sure this could be done? It's been noted in another thread that PPV cannot be archived. Have you have any success moving a PPV movie to your external storage unit?

I have not been able to move my only PPV movie onto the external HDD. Are you sure this could be done? It's been noted in another thread that PPV cannot be archived. Have you have any success moving a PPV movie to your external storage unit?

Yes, I moved Flushed Away, an HDPPV movie I have had recorded on my 622 for sometime now, to the ESD last night and watched about 10 minutes of it from the ESD this morning. Maybe it depends on the studio?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts