can a s-video cable be use for HD on the 622

davethis

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I am getting the 622 installed tomorrow. I have ordered a HDMI cable from monoprice, but it has not come yet. So I was wondering if the s-video cable will work to view HD until the HDMI cable arrives? Or will the s-video only with with SD?

Thanks!!

The S-video cable will provide a downrezzed SD version of the HD program. Better than nothing.

I think most people have had problems with the hdmi so you might want to just stick with component

I echo the lack of component cables situation. My 622 came with only the cheapo RCA/S-video A/V cables, and some other coax and phone patches. That was back in May. If your unit does not come with component cables you might be able to talk your installer into giving you a set. You can plead the case that anything less is not HD so the installation is not complete until you can watch HD!

Also echo BFG that even when you get your HDMI connected you might want to leave the component connections intact in case you have any problems with HDMI as many owners/leasees (including myself) have had. Even with my HDMI working again I like to have the option to compare the two. I usually watch via the HDMI connection, but for some programming the component-sourced image actually looks better to me. Many others have expressed a similar situation, YMMV....

EDIT: Protect your HDMI connection! Many (not all) of the "no HDMI output" problems widely reported in these threads are traceable to excessive force/stress placed on the unit's HDMI socket that ultimately results in breaking one or more of the rather fragile soldered connections on the unit's PCB. Don't force the HDMI plug or "wiggle" it excessively and don't allow the weight of the HDMI cable to hang from the plug alone - support it somehow...!

Welcome to the world of the 622! You'll love it, but probably all the more with the digital connection fully functioning...

Last edited:
There are a couple of problems with using composite cables for component connections: the cheaper ones are so thin they're more susceptible to interference and they tend to be loose in some component plugs.

There was no S-Video cable either and there was no installer involved for me to ask for cables; I bought the box directly from the Dishstore. Not to mention that HDMI never worked and I've had to use component cables from the getgo.

I tested the standard freebie Dish composite cables for component and they worked fine. Other composite cables, and digital audio cables, have also worked fine. Some real cheapies probably would not. Component cables are pretty standard 75-ohm video cables. In fact, many companies simply repackage three of their composite cables as a component video cable set, changing only the standard yellow plastic cable identifier with red, green, and blue plastic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)