Can a SATHAWK or BIRDDOG run thru a switch?

ciaraco

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 6, 2004
Akron,Ohio
I just got this new meter and was wondering when setting up a super dish can I hook into the DP34 switch to point the dish? Not too sure about this... Peace... :confused:

What puzzles me is it works through a switch on a DP500 LNB (I can see 110 & 119 thru same test lead) and it would make a SD install alot quicker... thanks...

The Lacuna meters (Channel Master, SatHawk, etc) are preprogrammed for controlling basic switching I.E. DP21 types. They can be custom programmed for any type of 22hz, voltage and DiSEqC switching.

We have a beta version for Universal LO 9750 / 10600 lnbfs and working on DiSEqC motor control.

hey guys... here's a thought....
the DP34 isn't UL rated or even UL listed!
The Dish Network seminars I've attended have driven home the message that they don't want the switches -ANY SWITCHES- grounded at all. meaning simply there needs to be a ground block between the LNBF and the switch. Since they require the ground block to be connected to a ground source using 'real' ground wire and not the 'messenger wire', this typically means the switches go near the meter-box or even inside(after the ground block). Sure... you could drag a 10ga ground wire up to the dish and put a ground block at the dish, and figure out a way to have the DP34 near the dish WITHOUT IT TOUCHING THE GROUNDED DISH. Sure... you could do that.....Right...NOT!
Point is this...DN requires grounding of the dish and the coax BEFORE the switch. So, unless you have REALLY LONG ARMS or are willing to share you hard earned cash with a partner who is going to yell back and forth to you as you point the dish (Hmmm... if you're gonna do that you might as well use the receiver itself and not even have a meter) the whole issue of a meter controlling a DP34 becomes moot!
Anyway... just a thought.
P.S. this is all assuming you're installing your dishes in accordance with Dish Network's requirements.

It's my understanding that the purpose for grounding the dish is to eliminate static electricity running on the infeeds. That being said surley the copper wire that you have that you have described as a "Messenger Wire" along with a good quality ground block will efectively remove that static build up. True "Messenger wire" is used in Cable TV Drop wire and is intended to support the weight of the cable itself. It is made from a rust resistant steel alloy and not copper or copper coated steel and is not intended to be used in grounding. Have you ever installed a super dish? The switch is mounted within 6' of the dish.

Hmmm... I s'pose you missed my point, but since you don't know me yet I'll address your 'concerns'.
1) Yes, I know the difference. It's easier to say and type 'messenger' than 'attached ground wire'; and you proved that you understood what i meant.
2) Yes, I've installed Superdishes; I've installed 500 dishes; and I've installed multi-dish arrays including 500 w/MC(DP34) and SD w/MC(DP+44).
3) Although I've had situations where I've had a good ground there and installed the switch somewhat near the dish, typically my switches end up in attics or basements. The ground block needs to be bonded with a better wire than that 17ga 'attached ground wire'. I use that to go from the dish to the ground block, but from the ground block I use 10ga or 12ga to go to the conduit; water pipe; ground rod; ETC. All this needs to happen before the switch. Again... it goes: dish, then ground block, then switch-- in that order. Remember, the DP34 isn't UL-rated and can't go in the ground path (that little 'ground lug' is only decoration, you can't ground it). Since it's hard to tune a dish from the basement........That was my only point.
P.S. Nice to meet ya....

I guess the reasoning behind my original post was the sales rep told me I would be able to point a SD and see all 3 birds thru one test lead connected directly to a DP34 switch, I have yet to be able to do this. It would save about 10 min on a SD install if I didn't have to switch the lead from each LNB. Thanks though and nice to meet you as well...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)