Can anyone confirm 942s, 811s, 921s can't be newly activated ?

kokomogator said:
Will those of us 921 users that choose not to upgrade to mpeg4 going to still have to pay the new package rates for HD even if we cannot receive it?

I don't think you'll be charged the new HD pak rates if you don't upgrade - at least not at first. I think Charlie kind of said that.

When they move all HD to MPEG4 and you can't receive any of, you may want to call Dish and cancel your HD subscription just to be safe:D

So did we ever get a straight answer to the question?

Can you activate an mpeg 2 HD reciever (6000/811/942) for HD programming after Feb 1???

I've heard both yes (Scott) and no (SummitAdvantageRetailer). Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

This was clarified on the Retailer Chat yesterday, as of 2/1 the only customers able to add the HD package to their accounts are those who have MPEG4 receivers.

The air must be REALLY thin in Denver.

If a customer wants to PAY for the HD channels they should be able to get them.

Scott Greczkowski said:
This was clarified on the Retailer Chat yesterday, as of 2/1 the only customers able to add the HD package to their accounts are those who have MPEG4 receivers.

Scott,

Could you please clarify? Does this mean that a used 942 could be activated by a customer after 2/1 and receive all SD programming, HD OTA, HD Locals, HBO-HD, SHO-HD, PPV-HD, but not the HD pack including VoOm? That wouldn't be the worst thing. If those of us with two or more 942's could actually still sell our receivers to help offset the purchase price of our second ViP622. Thank you.

Yes, the reason is the current HD packages are no longer going to be sold, and the new HD package is gonna require MPEG4 receivers. So since you'll no longer be able to purchase the current HD packs, and the new packs will have MPEG4 that's why they have the restricition the way it is

I f you have the current HD pak for $10 a month, you can keep it going forward. Also the ala carte Golf Channel for $4.99 a month will no longer be offered. If you have either of these now you better keep em.

Scott Greczkowski said:

Scott, You missed the point that is easy to see through our clear Colorado air: If you have the HD channels now, can you add an additional MPEG2 HD receiver to your existing account after 1 Feb?? Several folks who have HD package now may want to buy used MPEG2 receivers and continue to use them until MPEG2 goes away next year. Bob

Last edited:
rc811002 said:
Will existing HD customers be able to activate additional HD 811/921/942 after Feb 1, 2006?

If you asking wether you'll be able to add a 811/921/942 to your account after February 1st, the answer will be yes. But you wont be able to order/upgrade to the new $20 dish HD packs unless you have an MPEG4 receiver. So as long as you have the current HD pack and/or voom you'll be able to add additional MPEG2 HD receivers and those receivers will see the old HD packs you have on your account

rdinkel said:
Scott, You missed the point that is easy to see through our clear Colorado air: If you have the HD channels now, can you add an additional MPEG2 HD receiver to your existing account after 1 Feb?? Several folks who have HD package now may want to buy used MPEG2 receivers and continue to use them until MPEG2 goes away next year. Bob

Yes, I gave the explaination you just made above

BFG said:
If you asking wether you'll be able to add a 811/921/942 to your account after February 1st, the answer will be yes. But you wont be able to order/upgrade to the new $20 dish HD packs unless you have an MPEG4 receiver. So as long as you have the current HD pack and/or voom you'll be able to add additional MPEG2 HD receivers and those receivers will see the old HD packs you have on your account

Let's try to simplify this.

Will an 811, 921 or 942 be allowed to be activated as an SD only reciever by anyone after Feb 1st, new customer or existing ?

This is what most owners of these recievers want to know, because if you can not activate them for any reason, then the instantly become a worthless paperweight with no resale value. This is a significant factor to many as to how they might do their upgrade.

The receivers themselves will still be activated but you wont be able to order the new HD pack unless you have an MPEG4 receiver and the old HD packs will not be for sale.

OK, so I got a 942 last month (got the existing customer lease deal). I paid $250 for it and went ahead and got the HD pack (5 channels) for $4.99 for the first 12 months. I asked about the VOOM channels and was told that I could get those too if I wanted (they would have to install a new or additional dish on the roof to pick them up) but I decided to see what the PQ was of the HD pack channels first. Now from what I have been reading, I have to either order the VOOM channels before Feb 1 to receive them MPEG2, or I am out of luck and stuck with the 5 HD channels I get now (I have no need for any HD locals as I receive ALL my local channels via OTA with 90+ signal strength). Is this correct?

I am going to contact the person at the CEO office that set this up for me to see what they say now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)