Can anyone confirm 942s, 811s, 921s can't be newly activated ?

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
I know there was talk of this but can't find it.

I'm trying to confirm if Dish has or is going to actually stop new activations of the all the MPEG2 HD receivers (811, 921, 942, 6000).

If so, this effectivly renders a previous product, that many people have recently invested a lot of money in, valueless.

Worse than that, it's manipulating the market such that any new buyers are denied access to an existing product (some only weeks old and even though they still work for everything they were intended for) and forced to aquire their hardware directly from the company.

Isn't this like buying new car and then being told you can't sell it. It will only continue to run as long as it's registered to you but if you try to sell it, the new customer won't be able to register and run it.

I'm not a lawyer but this sure seems a bit criminal to me. Then to top it off, say if you purchased one of these (still new as of weeks ago) receivers and spent anywhere from $700 to $1000, you're only allowed a max $200 credit toward the new model which you can only lease.

Isn't there some kind of anti-trust law against this?

Scott?

What do you mean?

Will there continue to be MPEG2 content forever? Will we be forced to upgrade?

I will not for just ESPN2 HD and UPNHD

The 811 is still the current issue for new HD customers until the supply is exhausted. Then the MPEG 4 receivers will be issued. I know, you ask, why issue a receiver that is going to be obsolite in a few months for some of the new HD offerings? Very simple, if you order the HD package before Feb 1 you are going to be considered an existing HD customer and you will go to the end of the line for the new MPEG 4 receivers when available. Also you will have spent your "Offer" coin and have no more leverage for a year. This is the Charlie rule.

Cyclone said:
Where exactly did you hear this Walt?
Like I said in my post, I don't recall where. I am sure I did read it though. Maybe I shouldn't have perpetuated it but it's so significant, I wanted confirmation on it - which was the purpose of that post.

On or after Feb. 1st, you can't activate new HD programming if you do not have 211/411/622 receivers. Why they're so strict, I don't know. Maybe it's because they're doing away with HD Pack and Voom channels that are separate now and making a big HD bundle out of it.

But only thing you can view on 811/921/6000/942 on or after Feb. 1st is SD if you haven't activated HD programming before then. If you want any HD without the MPEG4 upgrade, it'd behoove you to activate HD before 2/1/06!

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
Maybe it's because they're doing away with HD Pack and Voom channels that are separate now and making a big HD bundle out of it.

Correct.

It certainly sounds like the bottom is going to drop out of the eBay market for 811, 921, and 942 receivers.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
On or after Feb. 1st, you can't activate new HD programming if you do not have 211/411/622 receivers. Why they're so strict, I don't know. Maybe it's because they're doing away with HD Pack and Voom channels that are separate now and making a big HD bundle out of it.

But only thing you can view on 811/921/6000/942 on or after Feb. 1st is SD if you haven't activated HD programming before then. If you want any HD without the MPEG4 upgrade, it'd behoove you to activate HD before 2/1/06!

Yes, that's what I read. Now I'll ask you what they asked me - where did this news come from ?

Maybe there are people out there that will be happy with having a 921/942 DVR that will record 180 hours of SD progamming.
I checked EBay in the last hour and there was a used 921 that was bidded up to $300 plus there were many new units at $349. I hope that whoever is buying is staying current on Dish's upcoming changes. I also hope the value holds until the middle of April when I will be auctioning my 921:)

So if I read all the posts correctly, I can give my 921 to my parents who already have E* (2 301's) and they can activate it to give them DVR capability (they have no interest in HD, so no problems there.)

nitram22 said:
So if I read all the posts correctly, I can give my 921 to my parents who already have E* (2 301's) and they can activate it to give them DVR capability (they have no interest in HD, so no problems there.)

I don't know, if it's true, I read it as it can't be "activated" after Feb 1st - period. It's already a given that it won't be any good for HD once all HD goes to MPEG4 but if it can't be activated, it won't work for either OTA or SD.

Out of the all of the HD channels Dish offers now, including the addtional Voom channels on Feb 1st, how many of those will you still be able to get on the older MPEG2 rececivers?

1stTimer said:
Out of the all of the HD channels Dish offers now, including the addtional Voom channels on Feb 1st, how many of those will you still be able to get on the older MPEG2 rececivers?

They're saying all the existing HD channels will remain available to existing subs on their existing Dish equipment. For how long - we don't know for sure but at some point they ARE going to move all HD to MPEG4. At that point the 6000, 811, 921 & 942s that are still activated will become SD only for the Dish signals. I would imagine they would remain HD capable for OTA as long as they're activated.

Will those of us 921 users that choose not to upgrade to mpeg4 going to still have to pay the new package rates for HD even if we cannot receive it?

I'm one of the poor slobs that just bought a 921 in September and got 12 months HDNET for 5.00 per month.

Also, will I be able to upgrade (if I want to) in April?