can anyone help

shaun-ohio

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
ohio
hello: i have switched over to dishnetwork with 2 811's and 1 322, my question is i hook up the ota cable coming in from outside with the ota antenna that voom gave me, but on the 811 i have did several channel scans for the local channels to be picked up with the ota, but it scans but it cant find no ota channels, what am i doing wrong? this is my first time with the 811 and dishnetwork, thanks, shaun

I am not familiar with the 811 (you may want to post this in our E* forum), but what I think might be happening is that if you had an amplified antenna and a diplexer, your antenna was getting voltage from the VOOM STB. Since you've disconnected it from the STB, it no longer gets power. If that's the case, you need to buy a power supply for your antenna.

Good luck!

What is happening, if your antenna was amplified from voom, it was connected to their multiswitch which passed power through the antennaport on the switch to power the amp. Dish networks switch does not pass power through the antenna port, only through the sat ports. It turn no power to the antenna. Pick up a amp from your local store connect it to the line to power the preamp.

no the multiswitch that voom supplied to me it is not amplified, they were in the process of replacing the non amplified one with an amplified one when they went under, i wanted the installer to hook the antenna up here when he installed the dishnetwork system, but he told me he didnt know how to do that, i just figured that the ota antenna coax hooked into the dishnetwork multiswitch mabey im wrong on this one? thanks, again, shaun

shaun-ohio said:
no the multiswitch that voom supplied to me it is not amplified, they were in the process of replacing the non amplified one with an amplified one when they went under, i wanted the installer to hook the antenna up here when he installed the dishnetwork system, but he told me he didnt know how to do that, i just figured that the ota antenna coax hooked into the dishnetwork multiswitch mabey im wrong on this one? thanks, again, shaun

No expert here, but I think with DISH you gotta run a line to the STB for OTA.

shaun-ohio said:
no the multiswitch that voom supplied to me it is not amplified
Just to make sure we are on the same page: we are not talking about an amplified multiswitch, we are talking about an amplified OTA antenna (the one that has a built-in pre-amp). If you have one of those (and most likely you do), then it takes DC voltage supplied by VOOM STB and passed via the diplexer and via the multiswitch to the antenna. Without that DC voltage the antenna won't work!

When I had Voom installed I had them run two cables (dish & OTA) to the box. The cable from the OTA has it's own power injector that plugs into an AC outlet.

well my ota is not amplified there is no current going into it just comes in from the multiswitch nothing plugged in here and only one cable coming into the diplexor on the back of the rec

shaun-ohio said:
well my ota is not amplified
How do you know that? Most antennas installed by VOOM are amplified.
nothing plugged in here and only one cable coming into the diplexor on the back of the rec
And that same cable not only delivers the satellite and OTA signals to the STB, but it also passes DC voltage from the STB to the LNB of your VOOM dish and (in most cases) to the OTA antenna as well. In a typical VOOM installation (with diplexers) there are no separate power supplies installed. VOOM STB is the power supply for both the LNB and the antenna.

That isn't necessacarily true Ilya. It all depends on how close you lived to the OTA stations as to whether or not they used one. I know because they installed a nonamplified on mine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts