Can cable access channels rebroadcast FTA ones?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdovell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
I would like to expand a bit of content on my local cable access channel. My provider is starting to branch off into some international tv. So far it is mostly Spanish but there is RAI, TV5, CCTV9 etc. Rebroadcasting those I'm sure would cause a conflict of interest.

I'm not a lawyer but I would be under the believe that as long as something is free to air that it should be OK. Does that sound right?

I would not do anything that is of a wild feed as that would raise red flags.

I would probably like to get international, governmental and non profit programming for the most part.

I think that you WOULD run into trouble rebroadcasting signals received from satellite, unless you have express written permission to rebroadcast them. Satellites are used to get a signal from point A to point B, and are private communications. It is up to the broadcaster as to whether they encrypt or not. Just because a program is not scrambled does not mean that it is in the public domain.

No it would be illegal, since the cable access channel does not have permission from the station to use their copyrighted content.

I guess I'll have to contact the major networks of them then.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)