Can DHP customer stop being a DHP customer?

HDTV Rookie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Dec 1, 2003
173
0
Texas
I am currently a DHP customer that has been on this plan for about 3 years. I own an 811 and 301 outright (purchased after started on DHP), but lease a 508 and two 301s. If I sent back the equipment I lease would I be able to get off the DHP plan.

And If I do get off the DHP plan, what would be my options to get the additional receivers I need. Will I need to purchase them outright, or is their some kind of promotion I can utilize as an existing customer.

I want off the DHP plan, b/c according to several CSR's I have spoken with, I am not entitled to some of the DVR promotions b/c I am only allowed to have 1 PVR on a DHP plan
 

sirlurkalot

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 24, 2004
86
0
Corona, CA
After a year you can cancle the DHP plan.

However, it's not just the receivers you lease, it's also the LNB (or LNB's).

I recently (three months ago) cancelled my DHP and had to send back the 4900 and 3900 receivers and the LNB's. However, I was smart and bought new LNB's (ebay!) and then when cancelation day came, I activated two new receivers (an 811 and a 322), cnacelled the DHP lease, removed the old LNB's, and then installed the new LNB's.

Dish send you a few pre-paid UPS boxes and labels to repack everythng up and it then gets sent to their refurb center (TX?).

Oh, you also have to send back all the remotes too. You keep the Dish, just send back the LNB's, remotes and receivers.

Good luck.
 

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 12, 2003
11,350
1,033
Dorchester, TX.
You can quit anytime after your original contract expires. You will have to return any leased equipment which may include the LNBFs and switches at DISH'S discretion. That quitting will possibly allow you to participate in some existing customer promotions, but could cost you more than you save. Under DHP your service calls are free, any equipment on your account is replaced free including shipping charges, even equipment you own is covered. You can still get upgrades under DHP, you can upgrade a 301 to a 510 for $99 versus $79 if you owned but they will install it free. You need to play CSR roulette you can have more than 1 DVR on DHP now. With DVRs you are going to have hard drive failures you can pay the $5 lease fee of DHP and get it serviced free or as a non DHP customer you can buy the DHPP service plan for $5.99 and pay $29.99 for service calls. It is your decision.
 

mikew

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
1,766
208
Las Vegas, NV
Buy the LNB on E-Bay and send it in when you quit. No sense in swapping them as long as they are the same type (either DishPro or Legacy Twin).
 

HDTV Rookie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Dec 1, 2003
173
0
Texas
boba said:
You can quit anytime after your original contract expires. You will have to return any leased equipment which may include the LNBFs and switches at DISH'S discretion. That quitting will possibly allow you to participate in some existing customer promotions, but could cost you more than you save. Under DHP your service calls are free, any equipment on your account is replaced free including shipping charges, even equipment you own is covered. You can still get upgrades under DHP, you can upgrade a 301 to a 510 for $99 versus $79 if you owned but they will install it free. You need to play CSR roulette you can have more than 1 DVR on DHP now. With DVRs you are going to have hard drive failures you can pay the $5 lease fee of DHP and get it serviced free or as a non DHP customer you can buy the DHPP service plan for $5.99 and pay $29.99 for service calls. It is your decision.


Boba

Thx for the info, I was not aware of all of the things you mentioned, but let me ask this. I am truly interested in swapping 1 of the 301 for a 721. Will I be able to take advantage of the new 721 promo they have and then be able to also keep my 508.

I am looking to put a 721 in my theatre room with my 811. Then move my 508 to the family room where my wife and kids watch TV most and then send the 301 that is in my family room back to E*. I may even want to keep that 301 and put it in my rec room downstairs.

I really do not not want to pay the $5 per month charge for the 510
 

boba

SatelliteGuys Master
Dec 12, 2003
11,350
1,033
Dorchester, TX.
Rookie I can't answer the question on the 721 you will have to call DISH for that answer, I believe only your original selling dealer will be able to offer that upgrade but I can't answer that question.
 

HDTV Rookie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Dec 1, 2003
173
0
Texas
boba said:
Rookie I can't answer the question on the 721 you will have to call DISH for that answer, I believe only your original selling dealer will be able to offer that upgrade but I can't answer that question.


I have always gone directly through Dish. I have never purchased any equipment through a dealer
 

Mainstreet

Satellite Guru
Supporting Founder
Oct 4, 2003
281
0
Texas
HDTV Rookie said:
I have always gone directly through Dish. I have never purchased any equipment through a dealer

And there's the rub.

The business rules expressly state that:
Retailer Eligibility: Retailers may only provide upgrades to customers who they originally installed and activated.
Customer equipment must have been invoiced to the retailer at the time the retailer originally installed the
equipment to qualify the retailer as eligible to perform the DVR/Receiver Upgrade. Retailers who provide a
DVR Upgrade for a customer originally installed by a different retailer will not be eligible to receive
equipment discount and incentive payments.

Since DISH is your 'retailer', and DISH doesn't offer the 721 as an upgrade option, you're pretty much out of luck on the free install.

If you want the $249 721 price, I could probably help you out there, but it wouldn't include any installation.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Top