Can Dish and Cable Co-exist on Coax?

BobinAZ

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2016
Arizona
I am a cable user looking to make a change to satellite - at two locations, spending six months at each. However, at one location I must pay for basic cable via homeowner's fee. Also, would likely continue with cable broadband at that location. So can cable broadband, cable TV and Dish all use the same pre-wired house coax or is this not possible?

So can cable broadband, cable TV and Dish all use the same pre-wired house coax or is this not possible?

If you mean simultaneously, then no, but you may be able to use it per individual coax outlet locations, depending on how the house was pre-wired. In my house, each of the rooms with coax were all terminated outside and combined with splitters outside for the original cable TV & broadband connections. When I first got satellite, they isolated the connections that went to TV locations, and removed those from the cable company splitter and connected them to the satellite switches. That way, I still had broadband connected to the coax outlet in my office, and the Dish signal connected to the coax outlets at my TV locations.

If you mean simultaneously, then no, but you may be able to use it per individual coax outlet locations, depending on how the house was pre-wired. In my house, each of the rooms with coax were all terminated outside and combined with splitters outside for the original cable TV & broadband connections. When I first got satellite, they isolated the connections that went to TV locations, and removed those from the cable company splitter and connected them to the satellite switches. That way, I still had broadband connected to the coax outlet in my office, and the Dish signal connected to the coax outlets at my TV locations.
Thank you, that helps. Unfortunately I think my terminations are in a wall box in a bedroom closet nearest the cable entrance to the house. I'm not at that location so cannot check. Somewhere I thought I heard or read that cable broadband (not TV) and satellite could use the same cable entrance to the home but not sure. Also need both broadband and Dish DVR in the same room so looks like running more coax will be needed.

Thank you, that helps. Unfortunately I think my terminations are in a wall box in a bedroom closet nearest the cable entrance to the house. I'm not at that location so cannot check. Somewhere I thought I heard or read that cable broadband (not TV) and satellite could use the same cable entrance to the home but not sure. Also need both broadband and Dish DVR in the same room so looks like running more coax will be needed.
Knowing the typical home design in that part of the country( ranch style built on concrete slab) Cables( the runs required) can be installed where they are run from the dish, into the attic and dropped down inside the wall to the panel. Those cables can then be connected to the independent cables running to the tv outlets about the house.

I am a cable user looking to make a change to satellite - at two locations, spending six months at each. However, at one location I must pay for basic cable via homeowner's fee. Also, would likely continue with cable broadband at that location. So can cable broadband, cable TV and Dish all use the same pre-wired house coax or is this not possible?

I'm surprised at the answers given. Offcourse you can do this. Its called a pair of Diplexers. Search for the "Holland Diplexer Splitter DPD2 Satellite FTA Dish TV" on ebay and get two. I have successfully run Cable TV/Cable Internet and Dish on one Coax around the home. Infact you can go higher with a stacker but you need just two diplexers. Its cheap as well.

hope it helps.

Holland Diplexer Splitter DPD2 Satellite FTA Dish TV

I'm surprised at the answers given. Offcourse you can do this. Its called a pair of Diplexers. Search for the "Holland Diplexer Splitter DPD2 Satellite FTA Dish TV" on ebay and get two. I have successfully run Cable TV/Cable Internet and Dish on one Coax around the home. Infact you can go higher with a stacker but you need just two diplexers. Its cheap as well.

hope it helps.

Holland Diplexer Splitter DPD2 Satellite FTA Dish TV
Great news! Thanks so much! This helps me a great deal. Getting closer to making a decision. I won't have to deal with this specific issue until fall when I relocate but knowing what is possible before making a decision sure helps.

I think we need more information. What Dish device exactly is going to be at the location that shares the coax? Is this a Hopper / Joey setup? Is there a VIP receiver there like a 222 or 211? Or is this a TV2 location?

A diplexer can work depending on which frequencies are sharing the line. We won't know which frequencies are shared until we know what Dish device is in use there.

Reactions: Tecnicoloco
I'm surprised at the answers given. Offcourse you can do this. Its called a pair of Diplexers.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that method will work if Hoppers/Joeys are involved. Which Dish receivers are you using that setup with successfully?

I think we need more information. What Dish device exactly is going to be at the location that shares the coax? Is this a Hopper / Joey setup? Is there a VIP receiver there like a 222 or 211? Or is this a TV2 location?

A diplexer can work depending on which frequencies are sharing the line. We won't know which frequencies are shared until we know what Dish device is in use there.
At this point the setup has not been determined but since all I see offered in the promotions are the Hopper3 and Joey that is probably the way I would go. Haven't even talked with Dish as yet - still doing research before being talked into something by a sales person. Having been a cable user for years I have no clue re. satellite service. To answer your questions, there are no receivers there at this point and sorry but I do not know what a TV2 location is.

You won't be able to easily diplex with a Hopper.

While almost anything is ultimately possible, understand such a config won't be supported by anyone other than yourself.

You won't be able to easily diplex with a Hopper.

While almost anything is ultimately possible, understand such a config won't be supported by anyone other than yourself.
I guess the logical thing to do is just wait until fall and depend upon the installer to do what is necessary to make it all work. Hopefully I get a good one.

I guess the logical thing to do is just wait until fall and depend upon the installer to do what is necessary to make it all work. Hopefully I get a good one.

installers will only install thier system, they wont care about another companies and making them work together
the dish installer may even want to run new cable if your have internet on existing

installers will only install thier system, they wont care about another companies and making them work together
the dish installer may even want to run new cable if your have internet on existing
Even though the subdivision I'm in at the winter location has cable included in HOA fees, and it is not optional, there are a lot of satellite users. Perhaps the local installers would have experience with these conditions, how the builder wired the houses, etc. and it is a common problem they long ago solved. Or not! Need to talk with some neighbors about their experience.

With Hoppers & Joyes, you are dealing with MoCA frequencies on the line in the 650 MHz to 875 MHz range. Cable TV and internet operates in frequencies under 1000 MHz, which is why there is a high probability for conflict.

Upstream frequencies are typically under 50 MHz, and the downstream path is anywhere from 50 to 1000 HMz. The problem is, the downstream path frequencies can be changed at any time by the cable company. So if they are using ~550, it may work for a while... Until it doesn't because they changed something.

You could try to use a cable compatible MoCA bridge that moves the MoCA operating frequencies to over 1000 MHz so there is no potential for interference. I've never done that, and I don't know how that would work with Dish hardware such as a Joey at the location. No promises.

Here is another conversation on the same topic.

(Yeah, and don't expect an installer to take responsibility for this stuff. They may just swear up and down that it's impossible because it's way beyond their training to know or deploy these kinds of creative solutions. A local independent installer may do it, you'd have to ask first - see my signature.)

With Hoppers & Joyes, you are dealing with MoCA frequencies on the line in the 650 MHz to 875 MHz range. Cable TV and internet operates in frequencies under 1000 MHz, which is why there is a high probability for conflict.

Upstream frequencies are typically under 50 MHz, and the downstream path is anywhere from 50 to 1000 HMz. The problem is, the downstream path frequencies can be changed at any time by the cable company. So if they are using ~550, it may work for a while... Until it doesn't because they changed something.

You could try to use a cable compatible MoCA bridge that moves the MoCA operating frequencies to over 1000 MHz so there is no potential for interference. I've never done that, and I don't know how that would work with Dish hardware such as a Joey at the location. No promises.

Here is another conversation on the same topic.

(Yeah, and don't expect an installer to take responsibility for this stuff. They may just swear up and down that it's impossible because it's way beyond their training to know or deploy these kinds of creative solutions. A local independent installer may do it, you'd have to ask first - see my signature.)
Thank you so much for the information. Very kind of you to provide the detail. I am thinking the wise thing for me to do is just go with a standard installation & run new cable from the antennae into the house. I presume that is the 'standard' installation that would be easiest for the installer to deal with and would be less trouble prone in the future.
Thanks again, Bob

Reactions: ZandarKoad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts