Can drilling holes be avoided?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

1sctrojan

Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
So Cali
I live in an apartment where some residents have DirecTV and some like me have TWC. The owner is mad that when someone vacates the apartment they don't plug up the wall before moving out. If i get DirecTV, do they have to drill holes? Can they run the line into the apartment where my TWC is currently coming in. I'm looking for the least evasive way to run the line into the apartment. Thanks.

They could reuse the TWC cable if the quality is good enough, but not sure if they could. If TWC is supplied by the complex then probably not. Some people run a thin cable under a door or window. Or you could just buy some spackle before you move out and patch the hole.

I live in an apartment where some residents have DirecTV and some like me have TWC. The owner is mad that when someone vacates the apartment they don't plug up the wall before moving out. If i get DirecTV, do they have to drill holes? Can they run the line into the apartment where my TWC is currently coming in. I'm looking for the least evasive way to run the line into the apartment. Thanks.

It is more than just the cables!

The short list of issues you MUST resolve are: Dish location, cable run outside, cable entrance, cable runs inside the the apartment, receiver location. You have to have enough electric outlets nearby for the TV & receiver + any other accessories. The rig should be connected to a land line phone & recently the internet. It should be grounded within ten feet of the cable entrance to the main building electric bond. Holes in exterior walls should not leak after the cable is in them.

Some of these items can be skipped and some are deal breakers. Using the existing cable is a good practice if you can do it. The building management owns it but often has a deal with the cable operator to keep tenants and sat techs from touching it.

There is hope, however. IF someone else had Directv in your unit you can redrill the patched holes and rerig the installation. Whatever you come up must be put into a written permission from the property owner before Directv will send an installer.

Good luck,

Joe

Last edited:
It is more than just the cables!

The short list of issues you MUST resolve are: Dish location, cable run outside, cable entrance, cable runs inside the the apartment, receiver location. You have to have enough electric outlets nearby for the TV & receiver + any other accessories. The rig should be connected to a land line phone & recently the internet. It should be grounded within ten feet of the cable entrance to the main building electric bond. Holes in exterior walls should not leak after the cable is in them.

Some of these items can be skipped and some are deal breakers. Using the existing cable is a good practice if you can do it. The building management owns it but often has a deal with the cable operator to keep tenants and sat techs from touching it.

There is hope, however. IF someone else had Directv in your unit you can redrill the patched holes and rerig the installation. Whatever you come up must be put into a written permission from the property owner before Directv will send an installer.

Good luck,

Joe

You make it a lot more complicate than what it is. Also, you do not need a phone line.

You make it a lot more complicate than what it is. Also, you do not need a phone line.

That is about it......you don't need all the stuff I mentioned but the issues have to be addressed.

IF you want caller ID or don't have internet access AND you want to order PPV movies what will you do?

Apartment installations sometimes just do not happen because something on my list was not addressed. After all this...LOS and dish location might not be possible...can't tell from the post.

What happens if the HSP has a hard on for grounding every installation? Who ya gonna call?

Joe

IF you want caller ID or don't have internet access AND you want to order PPV movies what will you do?

Joe

You can order PPV movies via the internet at the DIRECTV website. If you don't have internet access at your home you can order the PPV movies via work internet access, starbucks, etc...

You can order PPV movies via the internet at the DIRECTV website. If you don't have internet access at your home you can order the PPV movies via work internet access, starbucks, etc...

John70,

You are correct but that is not the point.

Every item on my list (and the ones I didn't think of) has to be addressed. You can just skip the phone line and grounding if everything else is ok. But if you skip the clear line of sight (LOS) as an example, nothing else matters; here will be no installation. If you skip the land lord permission and nobody notices all is well.

They all go like that and you gotta check each one.

Joe

I did the apt thing and had a concern about holes as well. The thin RG6 jumps a couple of the guys mention above was the way to go for me. They work well through windows or sliding glass doors without losing heat/AC. Radio shack sells them pretty cheap.

Solution: cut the Time Warner cable., remove from hole, insert DirecTV cable through hole. It's not rocket science.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)