can dvbdream be used for qam?

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
I used to have an fta satellite setup a while back in my old house. In new house my wife does not want me going on the roof to install... we do have cable internet and I have a mygica qam/ota usb stick. Can dvb dream work with this thing to draw in qam channels? The software that came with the thing is kind of clunky...

I used to have an fta satellite setup a while back in my old house. In new house my wife does not want me going on the roof to install... we do have cable internet and I have a mygica qam/ota usb stick. Can dvb dream work with this thing to draw in qam channels? The software that came with the thing is kind of clunky...
Before you investigate what PVR software to use, you should investigate what content your tuner is going to yield.

Clear QAM content (what you can tune with a TV or USB stick) is rare and conditional access schemes (such as CableCARD) are fading fast. My local Xfinity has maybe one or two clear QAM channels (for engineering purposes). All the locals and regular cable channels require a "DTA" that features either an HDMI output or a NTSC modulated output (channel 3 or 4). You could conceivably make something work with the SD DTA and the USB tuner but it is unlikely that you would be satisfied with the result.

After you've figured out how to get the channels you want, then you can work on how to record them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts