Can existing multiple dish setups work with Hopper 3?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wildstars

Original poster
Oct 23, 2017
VA
My current setup is two 30" Winegard dishes with Dish Pro LNBs, one pointed at 61.5 and the other pointed at 72.7 (I think). Both connect to a DP44 which then connects to the Hopper. I think it is a hopper2, but I'm not sure.

I'm thinking about upgrading to the Hopper3 for the 16 tuner capability, but I can't find out any info on the new "pro hybrid" LNBs, and if it is possible to install them on my dishes. I assume this will also require replacing the DP44 as well.

One final question, my Joey's get their signal from the Hopper via my household ethernet network. Is this still viable with the hopper 3?

Thanks!

You can use your existing dishes with 42 switch.
I know the diagram shows Western arc, but eastern arc works the same way

Attachments

• dp5.png
    dp5.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 228
how much of an improvment do you get with the 30 inch dish? , i have the regular 1000.2, would you mind posting some of your signal strenths my lowest is on 61.5 TP 16 is (39) and highest on 61.5 TP 17 (70) and on 72.7 lowest is TP 11 (61) and TP 5 (71) highest. i would like to invest in larger dedicated dishes but i want to see if i would get a good enough gain to be worth it.

how much of an improvment do you get with the 30 inch dish? , i have the regular 1000.2, would you mind posting some of your signal strenths my lowest is on 61.5 TP 16 is (39) and highest on 61.5 TP 17 (70) and on 72.7 lowest is TP 11 (61) and TP 5 (71) highest. i would like to invest in larger dedicated dishes but i want to see if i would get a good enough gain to be worth it.
Larger dishes, as I've seen with Dishnet going from 69cm to 72cm, don't improve signal, but they do help against rain fade

I installed and aimed the dishes myself using an android app (dishpointer pro) and an inexpensive sat signal strength meter (Think poor mans birddog). I know they could be aimed better by a professional. My lowest signal is forties, highest in the sixties. Roughly ninety percent of the transponders are at 53 or 54. The ones you specified are 53 or 54. As Hipcat said, it's mainly to deal with precipitation. And trees. When it rains or snows, the signal strength drops by two at the most. I know I could get a higher average signal strength if I took the hopper, a TV, and the patience of Solomn out on the roof and spent a couple of hours at it.

The most annoying thing I discovered is that I get better satellite connections than my local TV stations. If the rain or snow is hard enough their uplink breaks while my downlinks are fine. Snow I sort of understand, it can build up in the dish if they don't have a heating element or a brave/stupid intern with a long handled broom. Rain I don't quite understand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)