Can f81 barrels be used with Dish Pro

Alias

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Can F81 barrels be used with a Dish Pro Installation.
"NOT FOR USE IN DISHNETWORK DISHPRO INSTALLATIONS"

I read this on an ebay listing for the F81 connectors. I would like to verify that information and possibly find out what negative effects using one of these barrels would have if added to existing cable length on a Dish Pro install. I thought these barrels would be no different than a ground block, but i would like to be more certain.
These are the "cheap" kind of barrels no ghz listed.
:confused: Thanks:confused:

Last edited:
Yes they will work fine like you said, they are like ground blocks. A high freq. F81 would be better but I have seen the cheap ones work fine also for the last couple of years. I don't use them on my installs to customers, but I have had no prob with them personally. If you want to use them for your own install go ahead, and if they don't work out change.
BTW Welcome to Satelliteguys!!:welcome

On dish pro I have seen problems with the clear plastic centers(low freq.) F81s There isn't that much cost difference to be sure it works.

You need to use an F81 barrel that is rated for at least 2.2 GHZ. Then you won't have problems (those are the ones with the blue center). The Cheap 1000 Mhz (clear or black center) F81's are not to be used on Dish Network sat lines (can be used on the 2nd TV feed off of dual tuner though).

SimpleSimon said:
It's not just the frequency rating - the rated ones are also capable of passing more current - to run the fancier LNBs.

The really good high frequency ones made by Thomas and Betts and Stirling have machine sockets, when seen under a microscope, has a gradual inward taper like the horn on a trumpet. The contact of the center conductor has a greater surface area than a cheap F81 socket.

The cheap F81 has two springy strips with a bend at the contact end. It provides only two small areas of contact. DC votage migrates metal like a electrolytic cell (a battery) using pollutants and humidity as an electrolyte Eventually the connection is so degraded that no switching current can pass. First, there is a loss of the 18 volt even transponders. Later, the odd transponders may be lost with higher resistance as the connection degrades.

Even when not specified, the higher quality socket provides longevity in any application.

The ignorant customer remain bliss, however, when it comes to the quality of "FREE" fulfillment installs.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)