Can heavy fog cause signal loss?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jeff003

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 28, 2004
I'm losing my locals and have heavy fog in my area.Usually I only lose them during heavy thunderstorms.Can this happen with fog.There is nothing blocking my dish.The fog is so dense it's hard to see the road and I just got home from work.

The moisture droplets in the air each diffuse the microwave signal a tiny bit, and they add up.

I had this problem once before when I lived in a valley. While the fog can be dense enough to block the signal, my problem turned out to be a bad coax connector (old crimp style). I went and bought compression/PPC connectors and the problem went away. Over here at the new place, I have had fog, but never noticed any dropouts. Thunderstorms are a different story though.

I had this problem once before when I lived in a valley. While the fog can be dense enough to block the signal, my problem turned out to be a bad coax connector (old crimp style). I went and bought compression/PPC connectors and the problem went away. Over here at the new place, I have had fog, but never noticed any dropouts. Thunderstorms are a different story though.
I agree I've never seen a dense enough fog blanket to weaken the signal on a properly aligned dish. First suspect would be water getting into a fitting. Second would be check the signal strength on a sunny day on the transponders your locals are on, anything below 80 needs attention.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)