Can heavy fog cause signal loss?

Jeff003

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 28, 2004
I'm losing my locals and have heavy fog in my area.Usually I only lose them during heavy thunderstorms.Can this happen with fog.There is nothing blocking my dish.The fog is so dense it's hard to see the road and I just got home from work.

The moisture droplets in the air each diffuse the microwave signal a tiny bit, and they add up.

I had this problem once before when I lived in a valley. While the fog can be dense enough to block the signal, my problem turned out to be a bad coax connector (old crimp style). I went and bought compression/PPC connectors and the problem went away. Over here at the new place, I have had fog, but never noticed any dropouts. Thunderstorms are a different story though.

I had this problem once before when I lived in a valley. While the fog can be dense enough to block the signal, my problem turned out to be a bad coax connector (old crimp style). I went and bought compression/PPC connectors and the problem went away. Over here at the new place, I have had fog, but never noticed any dropouts. Thunderstorms are a different story though.
I agree I've never seen a dense enough fog blanket to weaken the signal on a properly aligned dish. First suspect would be water getting into a fitting. Second would be check the signal strength on a sunny day on the transponders your locals are on, anything below 80 needs attention.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts