Can I ask some dumb questions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
As opposed to 24 months for D*? The OP is locked into a long term contract and won't be able to see the new HD that has been promised since 2005.:confused: Sounds like D* has really been taking care of their customers.

Ummm, the only thing promised in 2005 (actually 2004) was that they would have new sats up and more HD by the end of 2007. Seems like they are right on track. If you signed up thinking there would be more HD in 2005 then you weren't paying attention.

Well....I sent an email to DirecTV on Thursday telling them thanks for the offer but as long as they required me to pay for new hardware, I'd just wait my contract out and look to the competition (Dish and Comcast) to replace DirecTV.

Soon got an email advising me that they'd like to talk to me and would be calling within 48 hours. They called yesterday afternoon while I was at work.

Just called them tonight....they're giving me the HR20 and dish for no cost. And I'm going to replace the SD receiver in my bedroom with the HR10-250 that the HR20 is replacing.

Install is setup for the morning of July 4th. I'm pretty psyched...should mean alot more sports in HD (mainly college).

Well....I sent an email to DirecTV on Thursday telling them thanks for the offer but as long as they required me to pay for new hardware, I'd just wait my contract out and look to the competition (Dish and Comcast) to replace DirecTV.

Soon got an email advising me that they'd like to talk to me and would be calling within 48 hours. They called yesterday afternoon while I was at work.

Just called them tonight....they're giving me the HR20 and dish for no cost. And I'm going to replace the SD receiver in my bedroom with the HR10-250 that the HR20 is replacing.

Install is setup for the morning of July 4th. I'm pretty psyched...should mean alot more sports in HD (mainly college).

basicly the same deal i got... congrats

Well, had my install this past Wednesday.....everything went well though I might have to look into installing some sort of brace from the mast to the fence. Installer thought the dish might be susceptible to wind. So to limit any lateral movement he suggested a brace. Left me one of the legs they normally use when they mount a slimline to the side or roof of a house.

Still getting used to the menu and means of setting up season passes.

Last edited:
Hehe......FWIW, I think the old Tivo method was alot easier. It may be that that's what I'm used to, though.

What do you find easier? Just curious as on the HR20 you go to the guide and push record button twice and your're done. Lot more steps on the Tivo. Perhaps we can help you out with some tips you're not aware of.

DirecTV has 15 million customers. With 3 receivers on average per account. Thats 45 million basic receivers and few million Dvrs and HD equipment. If Directv tomorrow offers everybody free upgrade to the very advanced expensive equipment it will probably cause a chaos. There will be 15 million customers calling demanding upgrade their 3 rooms for HD DVR. Or else. Pricewise there is no difference whether its a basic box or advaned equipment fee is all the same. Plus 5.99 on top for DVR service............. I would love to have 4 HD DVRs with 800 hours of recording capability instead of my old Hughes boxes and Tivos.

DirecTV has 15 million customers. With 3 receivers on average per account. Thats 45 million basic receivers and few million Dvrs and HD equipment. If Directv tomorrow offers everybody free upgrade to the very advanced expensive equipment it will probably cause a chaos. There will be 15 million customers calling demanding upgrade their 3 rooms for HD DVR. Or else. Pricewise there is no difference whether its a basic box or advaned equipment fee is all the same. Plus 5.99 on top for DVR service............. I would love to have 4 HD DVRs with 800 hours of recording capability instead of my old Hughes boxes and Tivos.

Not quite sure where you are going with your post here but there is no conversion of 15 million (actually 16.5 million) customers. The only conversion needed is the HD customers which number only 1 million or so and probably half already have MPEG4 receivers (H20 has been out 2 years now as the only available non DVR HD receiver, HR20 almost a year as only available HD DVR).

In the overall scheme of things there isn't that many people to convert. Plus 50-100 new HD channels will get a LOT of people to get an MPEG4 box on their own. :D

What do you find easier? Just curious as on the HR20 you go to the guide and push record button twice and your're done. Lot more steps on the Tivo. Perhaps we can help you out with some tips you're not aware of.
I think it's just a familiarity thing really...I'm getting used to it.

One of the things I could do on the 10-250 was hit the live button to flip between tuners. Not figured out how to do that on the hr20 (guessing it's not possible). The channel info screen on the 10-250 always showed if something was being recorded on the other tuner. not seen any indication of that on the hr20.

I think it's just a familiarity thing really...I'm getting used to it.

One of the things I could do on the 10-250 was hit the live button to flip between tuners. Not figured out how to do that on the hr20 (guessing it's not possible). The channel info screen on the 10-250 always showed if something was being recorded on the other tuner. not seen any indication of that on the hr20.

No Dual Live Buffer on the HR20's, sorry. :(

If you try to record something when both tuners are already recording (or scheduled to record), you will get a warning screen that asks which current/future recording conflict do you want to remove or cancel current request.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)